Making a 10 meter RIB suitable/comfortable for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Depth Watersports in Grand Cayman runs a RIB that’s right around 30ft.

upload_2020-11-1_22-24-15.png

11.3 metre Naiad rigid hull inflatable.jpg

11.3m Naiad

@Pressurehead & @Jerry Williams,

Now that's what I'm talking about. The 11.3 Naiad will have to wait for me to get a captain's license, but if that's a diesel engine, that's EXACTLY what I want.

Yongala Dive use a 10m RIB and get 12 divers plus staff on board. Not directly comparable for you as its running twin 200HP outboards, so you'll lose internal space for the inboard to get your lift on the back. Its not running much in the way of seating, tank racks down the middle for two dives each, not much comfort, but it flies when the sea is flat. They seem to be able to use it effectively in the North Queensland sun so the Mediterranean should be manageable.

I was poking about looking for pictures when a UK mob appeared, their boats looks to be more inline with your thinking and might connect you with a supplier. Though it still appears everything they have below 11m is outboard.

Diving in Portsmouth.
Our Fleet of Ribs, Cabin Ribs and Workboats

The Hellenic Navy has just ordered a flotilla of new Ribs

Viking.

0079_nors_marathon%20900%20rib-d_g-502220-0_line.png

Dimensions L x W x H:
9.28 x 2.85 x 2.95 m

Weight w. equipment (SOLAS): 2.784 kg

Leight weight (RCD): 2.500 kg

Capacity: 12 persons (RCD)

Standard engine: Outboard

Standard drive: Outboard

Speed (Approx.): 30-60 knots

Lifting arrangement: 3-point lift on request

Optional propulsion: Stern drive / waterjet

The Greeks are buying Viking I hear, not this model but looks good under 10m

If you go diesel you have to go inboard, which means a motor box, which in turn makes it harder to reboard especially for disabled divers.

You also lose some deck space - the most precious comodity on a boat - which reduces your passenger capacity (aka economic viability).

I think appropriately sized gas outboard(s) are the way to go.

As far as the sun is concerned, look for boats that use Hypalon or equivalent fabric as it has superior UV resistence. I am fairly sure all the boats in the size and class you need will use Hypalon but good to check. Also maybe look into nylon tube covers and/or custom canvas boat cover when not in use to prolong the lifespan.

If you go diesel you have to go inboard, which means a motor box, which in turn makes it harder to reboard especially for disabled divers.

Manthos Marras has a boat with an inboard diesel with a nice platform in the back, that allows disabled divers to lift themselves and sit on the back and work their way in. This will at least work for those with use of their arms.

Due to the reliability of diesel engines, that's the direction I will certainly go. I do realize that I will have to make some tradeoffs.

The Brits make good Ribs , had an Avon years ago for taking divers out to sites in SE Queensland, great boat, limited space [I mean tight for space] but a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom