Backup computer for Perdix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Who uses a backup computer along with your Perdix AI? If you do what do you use & why? Any interests in the new Peregrine as a backup?

(After creating this thread, I noticed the “No SPG with Computer” thread which started a couple of days ago. The major opinion I read was very few dive with a SPG when using a computer. As a result, I’ve edited this post and removed “and their SPG” from the end of first sentence. FYI: I dive with a SPG with my Perdix AI for redundancy. If I used a backup computer then my SPG would disappear.)

I use another Perdix as my backup. Only when doing deco diving though. Or if i'm on a liveaboard or special trip and want to ensure my tissues are maintained in case of computer failure. I will just strap it to my BP/W and forget about it.

The Peregrine would be an amazing backup if you are not needing Helium for dives.

I have a regular Perdix in addition to a Perdix AI and SPG. I only use the SPG to do the breath checks on the regs before jumping in. It's clipped onto a D-Ring the rest of the time. The secondary Perdix is configured to display non-essential data like clock and temperature and rarely referred to during the dive. As to why: I like having redundancy in my electronics, slips on easily, and unobtrusive.

My Perdix is a backup for my Petrel 2.

I wear both all the time and as I frequently do deco dives and prefer the redundancy of a similar computer.

Technical dives - Pedrix AI, backed up by a Petrel1, and I carry an SPG clipped to my chest d-ring.

Fun dives - Pedrix AI, backed up with a Deep6 Excursion, still have an SPG.

If the risk of missing a dive is important, then it is the "technical configuration"

YMMV

Shoot....here all this time I thought technical dives are fun dives. I’ll have to channel some inner somberness and characterize them as un-fun dives now.

I use a non-AI Perdix, brass and glass SPG in bar, Excursion as my BT in gauge mode and a prepared slate.

If I’m diving to recreational depths with others in ST configuration, I still take both but I keep the Excursion in gauge mode since I probably exceeded all recreational parameters during the first dive. I think I’ve used the Excursion once in SCUBA mode.

I like the Exursion as a BT. The battery lasts forever, the numbers are easy to read and the layout is intuitive.

I am not going to respond with what I do but will instead try to answer with some pros and cons to what I perceive to be your real question--what do you think I should do in my situation?

I first have to deal with the problem that I don't know your situation. Your profile is nearly empty. I am going to guess that you are talking about standard NDL recreational dives.

I next take a clue from your reference to a thread about diving a computer with no backup SPG. I had not seen that thread, and I was unable to find it. I did find a thread on diving with a computer and no backup depth gauge, which is a different thing. Diving without a backup depth gauge is very common; diving without a backup SPG is much less common. They are similar, though, in that the common advice for anyone NDL diving without a backup computer is supposed to end the dive if the computer fails. If that is the case, there is no need for either a backup SPG or a backup depth gauge. I am going to gather, then, that you want to be able to continue the dive using your backup computer in case your primary computer fails.

If that is the case, and if your primary computer is air integrated, then you can pretty much use any computer you want as a backup computer for an NDL dive. If that computer is not air integrated, then you will want to have a backup SPG. The only problem you will have occurs if your backup computer has a more conservative algorithm than your primary computer and you are taking your primary computer near NDLs on your dives. In that case, at some point your backup computer might go into error mode and will no longer function as a computer, meaning you may actually have to use it as your primary computer.

Back
Top Bottom