Windy Weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s more of the uncertainty aspect, it’s more the diving may or may not go that is having us consider changing plans. We really have zero desire to bum around the hotel/island/beach, so if we switch to the cenotes we have a 100% chance of diving. With the later morning cancels from the island dive shops they are somewhat mutually exclusive, we can either get the first ferry and get 2 cenotes dives in or we can roll the dice here and get 0, 2, or 4 dives. It’s no ones fault but we have exactly 0 desire to be idle.

I understand - Get on the ferry, grab a cab, call or message dive shops over there while you're on the way - someone will take you diving!! Whatsapp is the way we make calls here and of course Facebook.

I'd hope the weather chills out and the wind shifts to make your week easier.

We are on the island now. Its not looking good all week with wind from the north. Port closed now. We had plans to fish tomorrow which do not look promising. Sigh....

Port remains closed. ??? Cenotes, curious??? Honestly wonder how they would currently be after 2 hurricanes in several weeks and a lot of rain recent rain. What kind of conditions would they be in with all the water flushing thru?

PS Damn auto correct

December arrived early this year it seems. Weather is always the luck of the draw. Normally I wouldn't think that north fronts closing the port would be a risk for the first week of November, but cacca happens. A couple of northers came thru Texas last week with ice storms in the Panhandle, falling tree limbs, and some power poles, the electric companies took days to restore some homes, and this week we're hauling off limbs for the biggest bonfire in recent town history. Most of the limbs I have to deal with are my next door neighbor's, but he won't so I just hired a guy who works cheap.

Anyway, it's always good to check the weather front maps before boarding planes this time of year. It looks like those fronts are now arriving in the Yucatan, and Windguru paints a troubling picture thru Thursday.

noaad1.png

December arrived early this year it seems. Weather is always the luck of the draw. Normally I wouldn't think that north fronts closing the port would be a risk for the first week of November, but cacca happens. A couple of northers came thru Texas last week with ice storms in the Panhandle, falling tree limbs, and some power poles, the electric companies took days to restore some homes, and this week we're hauling off limbs for the biggest bonfire in recent town history. Most of the limbs I have to deal with are my next door neighbor's, but he won't so I just hired a guy who works cheap.

Anyway, it's always good to check the weather front maps before boarding planes this time of year. It looks like those fronts are now arriving in the Yucatan, and Windguru paints a troubling picture thru Thursday.

View attachment 622025
It looked fine Bailed last week as Zeta approached and took this week and next off instead.

So I know it's a guessing game, but since the airlines, dive shop, and my Air BnB are all being really flexible, if you were me, would you change my Nov. 7-14 trip? Move it out to November 10-17? November 14-21?

Most of the limbs I have to deal with are my next door neighbor's, but he won't so I just hired a guy who works cheap.
And I helped.

So I know it's a guessing game, but since the airlines, dive shop, and my Air BnB are all being really flexible, if you were me, would you change my Nov. 7-14 trip? Move it out to November 10-17? November 14-21?
Not now. I might on the 5th or 6th if things look worse, but now, the long range view is good.
upload_2020-11-2_17-17-1.png

That's a tough call - that hurricane hitting Honduras is a big question mark as to where it goes and how it'll effect us - the models show five days out it isn't past us yet.

29L_tracks_latest.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom