Dumb scuba products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But how will the great unwashed know you are a DIVER if your watch does not have a bezel I suspect that may be important to some people. I will admit that my only watch is a Seiko with a red and blue rotating bezel

I rarely use a watch, any longer, outside of diving; so. I couldn't give a whit about appearances; but I've dove with an analogue watch for decades now, and have always used that functional bezel, out of habit, as a time-keeping back-up, in case the electronics go tits-up -- and they have.

One that doesn't work, is tantamount to a non-functional compass . . .

Early 90's? Wetsuit. Double layer upper body. Why 2 layers? The inflator hose went there. Your wetsuit was your wing/BC. I want to say Italian?

late 80's? DPV attached to the bottom of the tank, a tall tank boot. Power source, compressed air. A small pneumatic motor was powered from high pressure (unregulated tank pressure) to drive the motor. The exhaust was routed up to the 2nd stage where it was injected between the regulator and the mouthpiece via an extension and a T-fitting.

www.diverguard.com

This was mentioned previously. I remember listening to them at their booth at DEMA in Orlando a few years ago. The entire experience was made even more special by the presenter booth-babe who had never dived but was “prepped” by the manufacturer on the day of the show. NO ONE asked her any tough questions either.

Not directly dive-equipment related, but I was at the Fort Lauderdale boat show a year ago and many of the big manufacturers had hired really terrific-looking young women (I mean, like, *really*) to pull people off the docks and into their boats; they typically would give you a piece of literature. But, if you really wanted some information, an older woman, 40s-50s, would appear, usually somewhat sunburned and weathered, dressed in practical boating clothing, and she'd know *everything* about the boat, from handling to options to pricing. She was the one to look for.

Some kind of rebreather helmet that supposedly uses a can of KO2 to produce oxygen
Silly Russians, didn't they learn anything from the Kursk?

I have one of these. It works great. No dry mouth.
I'm going to have to work on a way to put a vape inline with your reg. Then you can not only humidify your air, you can choose flavors for your diving pleasure!

The Farallon Shark Dart, it used a CO2 cartridge and a hollow spike to inject and inflate a menacing shark.
Might be useful also if your wetsuit was overcompressed, or if you were in a downcurrent, or some other situation where you need emergency buoyancy. Ride the shark up.

They're still sold by LeisurePro
Is that the old gray market place?

My dive old computer had a audible alarms. I had no idea for about 5 years.
I can hear mine. But I ignore it unless I already know why it's going off. That might be bad practice.

US Navy SEALS would disagree about your first choice but what do they know...
Better question: what do we know? We know that SEALS have much better fitness than the average diver. So, what they use isn't very relevant to most anyone else.

Not directly dive-equipment related, but I was at the Fort Lauderdale boat show a year ago and many of the big manufacturers had hired really terrific-looking young women (I mean, like, *really*) to pull people off the docks and into their boats; they typically would give you a piece of literature. But, if you really wanted some information, an older woman, 40s-50s, would appear, usually somewhat sunburned and weathered, dressed in practical boating clothing, and she'd know *everything* about the boat, from handling to options to pricing. She was the one to look for.

I’ve been going to CES for years. In the 90s, I reckon every hooker and showgirl was working at the show. I ran a booth - there were agencies that had brochures advertising their models. You have no idea how much time was wasted at booths with products of no interest to people. IIRC some DEMA vendors did the same thing.

late 80's? DPV attached to the bottom of the tank, a tall tank boot. Power source, compressed air. A small pneumatic motor was powered from high pressure (unregulated tank pressure) to drive the motor. The exhaust was routed up to the 2nd stage where it was injected between the regulator and the mouthpiece via an extension and a T-fitting.

I've seen the patents for pneumatic DPVs but very few actual products, prototype pictures, advertisements, or testimonials. Can any of you resident history buffs dig anything up? Have any of you actually seen or used one? Did they work? Sounds hilarious.

There used to be
I've seen the patents for pneumatic DPVs but very few actual products, prototype pictures, advertisements, or testimonials. Can any of you resident history buffs dig anything up? Have any of you actually seen or used one? Did they work? Sounds hilarious.
There used to be a TV show on the Discovery channel or something, I think it was called "Beyond Tomorrow". They had a segment that had that DPV on it. You might be able to find it on youtube or something. I've never seen one in person.

Reactions: OTF
There used to be

There used to be a TV show on the Discovery channel or something, I think it was called "Beyond Tomorrow". They had a segment that had that DPV on it. You might be able to find it on youtube or something. I've never seen one in person.

That is probably where I saw it at. Back when the Discovery channel had stuff I liked to watch, like The Secret Life of Machines.

I have one of these. It works great. No dry mouth.
Does this really work?
My wife has tried the dry mouth regs etc no luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom