Puerto Galero or Dumaguete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furnari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would love to get opinions:
Trying to decide between Atlantis resorts at either of those two locations, assuming things open up in 2021. It will be my first time in the Philippines, and I'll have an Olympus OMD camera rig in hand with ports and lenses for wide, macro, and in between. Timing is flexible, but would rather do next Sept. or Oct. if possible, simply for the flexibility in scheduling this far out.

My uneducated first take on these locations is that Dumaguete is more muck diving and PG has more of a variety (which appeals to me, as does the lack of a connecting flight with associated limited baggage). Topside attractions aren't really a factor as I'm more into maximizing the diving.

If it helps for. your recommendations, I'm a reasonably fit PNW cold water diver with a few hundred dives, plus a hundred or so more in So Cal and the Caribbean.

Let me know what you think :)

I spent a week at each Atlantis, Puerto Galera and Dumaguete. I enjoyed each week and each Atlantis facility and staff were equally excellent. Super friendly and comfortable. Insanely great food, too. And their photo facilities are beyond dreamlike. I did 60 dives each week. (It would have been more, but I had to fly from one to the other.) That's five dives a day and they make it very easy to do that.

As to the differences, your "first take" is exactly right. Puerto Galera has more variety, from muck diving to reefs to wrecks to wild current rides. While Dumaguete is well-known for its excellent muck diving (my companions said that it compared favorably with Lembeh), there are great big coral reef dives at nearby Apo Island.

If you can swing it, financially and time-wise, I would highly recommend that you do both. Personally, I would start with Puerto Galera and then go to Dumaguete.

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Both these resorts are great but they have very different personalities. PG, has a more open festive feel to it, it is close to Sabang Beach and it's assorted attractions, bars if you wish, etc. Atlantis Dumaguete has a much more enclosed, exclusive feel to it. The service and friendliness of the staff at both sites is second to none.

The diving at PG is more reef oriented, colorful fish and lots of them. Verde Island is a day trip and Atlantis puts on a great lunch for your SI there. Pinnacle is still the best dive I have ever been on.

Dumuguete is "muck" diving, there is much less structure and coral so the life there is adapted to the pebbly bottom in that area. At first it looks barren but after you adjust the different creatures you will find is facinating. I had to take pictures and ask what it was that I had seen afterward. The day trip from Dumuguete is Apo Island which we unfortunately missed due to a couple pesky typhoons but I am told it is magnificent. Atlantis took us up to Bohol for the whale shark snorkle on our last day there, it was fun but a one and done for me.

All that said if your stay will allow you can do both resorts on one trip, thats how ours was arranged. It is a short flight from Dum. to Manila and then transfer by ferry from Batangas to PG. or vice versa.

I think @fisheater and @EdC covered the two well. Rest assured that Atlantis, while a bit more costly than other options, is a fantastic operation, and you won't be disappointed either way.

They're spot on with the variety of diving in PG, from Canyons, to Verde, to a few wrecks, and some muck, I'll add some shore-side aspects...

Atlantis' food is good, but right next door to Atlantis PG is a restaurant called Tamarind, it is a must visit, at least once, on every trip to PG. Papa Fred's Steakhouse is awesome, and a good place for a date-night. Big Apple Bar has a fun crowd in an open air venue with 2 pool tables, pretty decent pizza, and super cold beer. And last, but certainly not least, is 50 Bar at Atlantis PG... the bartender Ton-Ton is an amazing guy, mixes up some amazing drinks, and always plays great tunes... It's my favorite hang-out spot in all of PG.

Now that we're all getting you nice and excited for the trip, I should warn you that, as of now, there is no official predicted "re-opening" of PH to foreign tourism... sadly, it could be as late as mid-2021...

while a bit more costly than other options

The last time I visited PG Atlantis was twice the price of Asia Divers (? 2015) and when we visited Ton Ton at 50 Bar told me that they only had three guests.

The food is meh after day 3 at Atlantis repetitive, and was all buffet the last time I dived with them. Their policy in 2015 was full board no other options so we booked with Asia Divers. This may have changed now but best checking.

The diving is going to be the same whatever dive op you choose, but there are better options.

The last time I visited PG Atlantis was twice the price of Asia Divers (? 2015) and when we visited Ton Ton at 50 Bar told me that they only had three guests.

The food is meh after day 3 at Atlantis repetitive, and was all buffet the last time I dived with them. Their policy in 2015 was full board no other options so we booked with Asia Divers. This may have changed now but best checking.

The diving is going to be the same whatever dive op you choose, but there are better options.

I was trying to be gentle, but yes, I agree. I actually don't stay at Atlantis if I can help it, but it is a popular dive-op for westerners. El Galleon/Asia Divers is also a bit more expensive than other local ops, but their dive group is top-notch.

I am also a big fan of Asia Divers and staying at El Galleon in Puerto Galera. Considerably less expensive than Atlantis. Even if you stay at Atlantis, in addition to the great places to eat and drink mentioned by @D_Fresh - you should have a meal at El Galleon's restaurant. Great variety. I stayed there for 11 days and never tired of the excellent food.

There is absolutely no reason to stay and dive(way too expensive) with Atlantis in PG. Most of the sites are very near by and I do not want to get my feet wet in those filthy water in Sabang! There are plenty of good options to chose eg. Asia divers and La Laguna Beach Club(very quiet and a clean tiny beach).
If you want to maximize diving than PG wins hand down. 5 dives a day is easy to organize with plenty of time to relax in the pool/restaurant/room between each dive.

The Atlantis resorts are nice enough, and they do a great job of logistics, making visiting both relatively painless. Also applies if you do their liveaboard. (You are definitely paying for this service.) Inter-island baggage may not be the problem you are assuming, as long as you're not flying a super discount airline. Cebu and PA can be pretty good about scuba gear and purchasing extra baggage allowance is cheap.

That said, I'm not all that fond of either resort for a variety of reasons and would probably choose someplace else if we get back that way. In Dumaguette we stayed at Pura Vida on another trip and liked it better all around. There are other good choices there. As far as PG, we hated everything about Sabang Beach and didn't find Atlantis to be all that comfortable. I would look into some of the nearby areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom