Dive report Nantucket Sound Ma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've sidescanned and hooked into those Quicks Hole wrecks but never actually got to dive them. Very strong current, even by vineyard sound standards. It could only be done as a very quick dive right at slack tide with provisions for divers adrift. They're likely fairly treacherous with fishing line if not netting. They're both in about 40fsw. Both are small commercial fishing boats that sunk relatively recently, maybe in the 80s. One is a lobster boat and in that multibeam image you can see the pile of trap gear that fell off the deck when she sank. I believe one of them went down with two casualties, the bodies were recovered by a friend of mine. There is also a wreck north of Quicks Hole that might be interesting, but even tougher to dive with the current.

If anyone is heading out there any time soon and could take another diver, it's been a long-time goal of mine to dive those things but my plans have been skunked repeatedly.

One of the problems around Quicks is the current in Buzzards Bay, in Quicks, and in Vineyard Sound are never at the same point. None of them go slack at the same time so there's almost always some type of current around there.

@Sean222 Those are really great images! Excellent stuff !!

One wreck on the south side of quicks hole is Ardandhu, but she was 282' long reported in 60 FSW, I think your images might be of something else.(looks like a smaller ship, although since Ardandhu was blown up, maybe that's a piece)
If I did the conversion correctly then -70.820 41.435 converts to about -70 49', 41 26' which is next to the wrecks near the "Sandwaves" on chart 13230. That's great information!
I didn't create them. These are images from the NOAA survey of that area so they are your tax dollars at work! Don't use the numbers in the image as they don't correlate to anything. I can send the numbers if you want. OTF probably has them as well. Yeah they look like two fishing vessels.
The Ardandhu is not too far away. Haven't been on that one in years either. She is pretty broken up.
A friend of mine remembers diving her when she was much more intact.

I poked around with the NOAA Bathymetric viewer, lots of great data in some locations, like near Ft Wetherell but not much between Falmouth and Martha's, unless I'm not using the correct settings.

I can see the wrecks near quick's hole with the viewer and the numbers are given.

I've sidescanned and hooked into those Quicks Hole wrecks but never actually got to dive them. Very strong current, even by vineyard sound standards. It could only be done as a very quick dive right at slack tide with provisions for divers adrift. They're likely fairly treacherous with fishing line if not netting. They're both in about 40fsw. Both are small commercial fishing boats that sunk relatively recently, maybe in the 80s. One is a lobster boat and in that multibeam image you can see the pile of trap gear that fell off the deck when she sank. I believe one of them went down with two casualties, the bodies were recovered by a friend of mine. There is also a wreck north of Quicks Hole that might be interesting, but even tougher to dive with the current.

If anyone is heading out there any time soon and could take another diver, it's been a long-time goal of mine to dive those things but my plans have been skunked repeatedly.
I need to get a new transducer that has a wide angle to get better images from my downscan/sidescan on my Lowrance

I poked around with the NOAA Bathymetric viewer, lots of great data in some locations, like near Ft Wetherell but not much between Falmouth and Martha's, unless I'm not using the correct settings.

I can see the wrecks near quick's hole with the viewer and the numbers are given.
You are correct, there is no data between MV and Falmouth. You "settings" are fine. NOAA just hasn't done a multibeam survey in that area. My group has used the data to explore many many new wrecks that in all probability, have never been dived before. Some have a lot of structure and some have such scant remains that we dive them with a Shot line as there is nothing solid to hook into(but some are well worth it).

Which Lowrance?
I run all Simrad. I have StructurescanHD on my 23. I'll upgrade to 3D at some point.

The unit I have is a Lowrance Elite7 Chirp with downscan, might need to go to another model to be compatible with StructurescanHD, sure would be nice to have a higher quality sidescan. It seems a good sidescan requires it's own transducer, I just have one transducer. In the last few years have been increasingly interested in the wrecks around the sound, from the recent comments from @TuckerIdaho and @Sean222 I am coming to the realization that quality sidescan seems to be a necessity. It took a while, my scull is thick but not impenetrable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom