Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bad:

Multitude of options (Menu structure): OMG - there are so many features and settings and buttons. Conversely, the Eon Core is very easy and intuitive to navigate. The Descent MK2 is a labyrinth in comparison. I am an avid recreational diver and it looks like once I get it set to where I want, it should just work, but boy oh boy is there a lot to go through. Plus, all of the other non-dive stuff - the list of attachments alone is mind boggling - pressure pods, heart rate monitors, something that attaches to your shoes and more - wtf?

Repeat after me
multisport watch, not a dive watch
multisport watch, not a dive watch

1) Teric comparison for displayed info. It looks like you need to press a button to bring up the compass - no?
2) Double tap - agree with concern about longevity of this feature. No problems with first dive in changing modes on its own. I remain hopeful.
3) Multisport vs. dive watch - I get that - my point is that comes at the cost of a very complex menu structure. It concerns me in that I will probably rarely change setting (I am a rec diver), such that when I need to, it will be more of a process than I am used to on dive-only computers. For example, I have not sent the time to figure out the GPS features (which is why I bought this computer) mostly because I will need to crack the manual to figure out how to make it happen.

3) Multisport vs. dive watch - I get that - my point is that comes at the cost of a very complex menu structure. It concerns me in that I will probably rarely change setting (I am a rec diver), such that when I need to, it will be more of a process than I am used to on dive-only computers. For example, I have not sent the time to figure out the GPS features (which is why I bought this computer) mostly because I will need to crack the manual to figure out how to make it happen.
Even as a rec diver I assume you sometimes dive with Nitrox. If the Mk2 is anything like the Mk1, changing the O2 percentage is easy and probably on par with my Perdix.

What GPS features? For diving, it is automatic. Start the dive mode you want for the dive (most likely Single Gas Mode for you) a couple of minutes before you descend to get GPS satellite lock and it will record the descent location. The exit location is also set automatically although it is not very accurate because Garmin made dumb decisions.

For running, etc.? It works like any other sports watch.

I do mainly shore dives with long kick outs and would like to use GPS to confirm drop zones closer than visual lineups (which do not work for some at night).

Thanks for the insight on getting location lock prior to the dive. I thought it was enough to just have the watch ON.

Did a night dive. Display was great. Found out that I needed to change the backlight mode. It come with a default setting to turn the backlight on at depth - it turns off as you ascend seemingly at the safety stop depth. Battery saving feature I assume.

1) Teric comparison for displayed info. It looks like you need to press a button to bring up the compass - no?

You can turn the compass on before you splash and just leave it on forevermore, if you want. I usually have mine turned off unless I'm actually using it. It is supposed to consume more battery when it's on. But, I don't know how much difference it really makes.

For me and my use, a lot of the added uses are of no use to me but this mk2i looks like it may be a good dive watch but really need to hear about that after the transmitters get out into the real world.

The compass on the Teric is great and with the customizable screen I have mine set to show heading in ° all the time rather than use the floating arrow or the graphic display.

The interface while diving (recreational): The double tap to change screen surprised me as being awesome - I hope that time and exposure does not diminish the sensitivity of that feature. Way better than pushing a button..
I do enjoy the tap functionality of my mk1 as well. What is the concern with longevity and the tap to change screens?
Can you put the compass on a customized screen now with all the other data that you want?
The Bad:

Multitude of options (Menu structure): OMG - there are so many features and settings and buttons. Conversely, the Eon Core is very easy and intuitive to navigate. The Descent MK2 is a labyrinth in comparison. .

The menus for diving are really not bad and it is kind of compartmentalized so you can change all the dive features quite easily. Though you are right there are what seems to be an insane amount of features and you will either have to really read through the manual or play with it for a while to know if you are missing something...

Then of course certainly there are many activities and such you would probably never use. I got rid of a lot of activities and added and organized what ones I want to see on my favorites list. I also downloaded a few other apps and faces that didn't come stock with my mk1.

Maybe you'd like to try a computer that shows you everything you need on one screen, so you don't need to change it during the dive? :wink: With my Terics, I don't find a need to push buttons during a dive, except for tech dives, when I'm doing a gas switch, or if I'm setting a Mark on the compass that floats around the rim. :D

On my MK1 I do find i tap the screen to see the compass. They should have given a basic direction at least on the main screen even my Atmos has the little indicator. But its nice to be able to tap instead of use buttons for additional screens.

What is the Mk2i missing on a screen compared to the Teric?

Did a night dive. Display was great. Found out that I needed to change the backlight mode. It come with a default setting to turn the backlight on at depth - it turns off as you ascend seemingly at the safety stop depth. Battery saving feature I assume.

For my MK1 I leave my backlight on full time underwater, I like it bright. I did 10 dives at around 60 minutes average and used it as my daily watch with all the features still active. At day 5 it went down to around 40% and then i put it back on the charger. I probably could have gone without charge for the entire trip. Supposedly your mk2 does much better on battery.

What is the Mk2i missing on a screen compared to the Teric?

I don't know. I'm not the one that was talking about needing to tap the screen during a dive to see other stuff.

I do enjoy the tap functionality of my mk1 as well. What is the concern with longevity and the tap to change screens?
Can you put the compass on a customized screen now with all the other data that you want?

I have found with other devices that use taps and shakes for U/I that they tend to fail to work as expected over time. I suspect due to accelerometer calibration drift.

I can confirm that you can add a heading to the main data layout. I subbed it in for Temp. Not sure about about heading hints - I would have to fiddle more. Kinda like what was described wrt Teric.

Does anyone know if these come with a screen protector stock? I suspect not as I cannot see one with a visual inspection.

Back
Top Bottom