Girl dead, boy injured - Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came by looking for more info. Nothing yet it seems.
We can only hope that someone in the group comes forward I am afraid. Maybe a subsequent news story will tell more, if we're lucky.

It's a deep lake in places, a maximum depth of 472 feet. I have no idea what happened to the girl but from the limited information given I suspect the boy incurred a lung injury bringing her up since he was flown to a chamber.

Not sure if elevation is a contributing factor or not. I've been to the general area and it is somewhat hilly, no idea how close to the mountains it is. Regardless, sad news. I hope he fully recovers.

Not sure if elevation is a contributing factor or not. I've been to the general area and it is somewhat hilly, no idea how close to the mountains it is. Regardless, sad news. I hope he fully recovers.
Surface elevation 3,153 ft. I don't think of that as much of a factor as I live higher than that, but yes - it could be.

It’s interesting the article title makes them sound much younger than 18 and 22. It’s still sad the young woman lost her life while diving.

[Paragraph about lake depth removed for fact-checking.]

The official Parks Service page suggests that this lake is nearly 500' deep (150 m) Glacier National Park lakes rarely exceed 50° F (10° C). It's late fall and this park is pretty far north, so I would be prepared to bet that the water is much closer to 40° F (4° C), if not even lower. In-water visibility in these parks is said to exceed 30 ft (9 m) regularly, but I cannot find current conditions.

I would describe these conditions as challenging, even for local divers who are accustomed to similar environments. My guess -- other than bad gas, which has been speculated -- is that a stressful situation may have turned into panic and/or a deep OOA. We'll have to wait for the surviving diver's account (and if he's in any condition to share it).

[Paragraph about lake depth removed for fact-checking.]

The official page suggests that Glacier National Park lakes rarely exceed 50° F (10° C). It's late fall and this park is pretty far north, so I would be prepared to bet that the water is much closer to 40° F (4° C), if not even lower. In-water visibility in these parks is said to exceed 30 ft (9 m) regularly, but I cannot find current conditions.

I would describe these conditions as challenging, even for local divers who are accustomed to similar environments. My guess -- other than bad gas, which has been speculated -- is that a stressful situation may have turned into panic and/or a deep OOA. We'll have to wait for the surviving diver's account (and if he's in any condition to share it).

Different lake, that's the Lake McDonald in Minnesota, not Montana :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom