Gear marking, “diving labels”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have these as well. I put my email as opposed to my phone #. I don’t always subscribe to international service when traveling and can usually find WiFi to check email.

Just a question to any user of those kind of labels : on what kind of material do they stick best ?

I tried a few over the years, and for me it's always the same : stick quite nicely on metal (regs, lights, tanks...) but tend to peel off too easily from plastic (masks, fins...)

I have the DivingLabels(dot)com 3M reflective on my mask, fins, camera housing, computer and transmitter, and all are sticking fine for 3 years. (yes, even on the fins... on the bottom side, close to the foot-pocket where there is little flex and water flow.)

Try cleaning the spot well with isopropyl alcohol before applying the labels.

I have the DivingLabels(dot)com 3M reflective on my mask, fins, camera housing, computer and transmitter, and all are sticking fine for 3 years. (yes, even on the fins... on the bottom side, close to the foot-pocket where there is little flex and water flow.)

Try cleaning the spot well with isopropyl alcohol before applying the labels.

Did that. But it doesn't seem to be a great help. Can't get the label to stick my mask frame for example.

Did that. But it doesn't seem to be a great help. Can't get the label to stick my mask frame for example.

Hmm, strange. I suppose it could have something to do with they type of plastic, but I've had good results... I guess the mask just really doesn't want to be labeled..... lol.

Are your labels made with 3m sticker material?

Mine and RogueWife's have stayed on our masks (and fins) with no issue

Are your labels made with 3m sticker material?

Mine and RogueWife's have stayed on our masks (and fins) with no issue

Yeah, the same, from the same provider I assume. Stay on my backup mask without any problem, but was peeling off from my main mask until I lost it during summer.

As far as fins are concerned, result isn't that bad on my Force Fin Pros, but labels won't stick on my Mares Power Plana. Concerning regs : stick like limpets on the metal of the first stage, but not that great on plastic second stages : not bad on my Apeks, but useless on my Calypso Nitrox.

The OP's example of diving labels come from the Philippines. I have used them since the late 80's and have ordered them for my friends for a while. They also come in a black background and white letters. As mentioned previously, they do not stick well to rubber, silicone or wetsuit material. I actually have on my paintball hopper which has been hit numerous times and the "sticker" is still on there. I have used them on any hard surface on my dive equipment.

Slightly off subject but does anyone know the best paint for fins?

Slightly off subject but does anyone know the best paint for fins?

This thread is about marking gear, so I'd say it's plenty on topic. Fins are a tough one to mark permanently... Generally, I'd suggest an oil based paint on a very well cleaned surface, but it will still likely flake off over time, and oil based is not healthy for sealife.... There are a few members who have posted pictures of painted fins, try searching those.

Beyond that, I'd suggest Sharpie or some other permanent marker, and refresh the marks once a year. The Scuba Goop stuff will peel right off, labels can work if applied on the bottom, in the cavity near the foot-pocket, but is dependent upon the material and fin design.....

Re:Fins, I've used some oil-based reflective paint to put a stripe down the bottom and it seems to hold up well around Seattle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom