Diving after Ablation for AFib and Flutter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRH

Contributor
Reaction score
It’s probably been 4 years since I’ve been diving and I am considering getting back in the water. I’m in my early 60’s and had only learned to dive about 10 years ago so have about 5 years of experience. (OW, AOW, Drysuit).

Two years ago I had a full left hip replacement that went well but when I took the required physical before the surgery, doctors detected some heart abnormalities. After wearing monitors and many tests it was suggested I was a good candidate for an ablation procedure to treat AFib and flutter. The ablation procedure went well and I was able to have my hip replacement.

I shouldn’t diagnose myself but wonder if some of the occasional anxiety I felt while diving the last half year I was active was due to AFib episodes and/or flutter. It was nothing I couldn’t manage but it took some of the enjoyment out of diving.

My doctors tell me my heart is great in all other areas and while I occasionally feel symptoms, it is very rare and mild, nothing to the degree before the procedure. I have been told I have no limitations in activities I can do. With Covid I have not been in to see them for some time and know I should at least call if not schedule an appointment.

I dive in Puget Sound, almost all beach dives, and am a Photographer and like to carry a full pro sized DSLR, double strobes, large ports and domes, steel tanks, drysuit, etc. so it can be a workout. I hiked/climbed Chief Mountain in Montana the previous summer so conditioning shouldn't be an issue.

I am not on any medication.

Thanks in advance for sharing similar experiences or thoughts.

This has been discussed in the past, and in my experience, different doctors have given different advice. I suggest you find a good cardiologist who truly understands diving, or else educate your current cardiologist about diving. I am not a doctor, but I do happen to know a good deal about this, which I have shared in detail privately.

Reactions: GRH
I'm a doc but not that kind of doc. And I'm DEFINITELY not trying to give you advice on diving. Just replying as a fellow diver and patient.

I had a cryo ablation a few years ago for A. Fib. Worked great. I now regularly do technical CCR diving in the New York City area waters, with a heavy (JJ) rebreather, a slung AL80, sometimes another slung deco tank, dry suit and a full sized metal DSLR rig with dual strobes.

Good luck!

It’s probably been 4 years since I’ve been diving and I am considering getting back in the water. I’m in my early 60’s and had only learned to dive about 10 years ago so have about 5 years of experience. (OW, AOW, Drysuit).

Two years ago I had a full left hip replacement that went well but when I took the required physical before the surgery, doctors detected some heart abnormalities. After wearing monitors and many tests it was suggested I was a good candidate for an ablation procedure to treat AFib and flutter. The ablation procedure went well and I was able to have my hip replacement.

I shouldn’t diagnose myself but wonder if some of the occasional anxiety I felt while diving the last half year I was active was due to AFib episodes and/or flutter. It was nothing I couldn’t manage but it took some of the enjoyment out of diving.

My doctors tell me my heart is great in all other areas and while I occasionally feel symptoms, it is very rare and mild, nothing to the degree before the procedure. I have been told I have no limitations in activities I can do. With Covid I have not been in to see them for some time and know I should at least call if not schedule an appointment.

I dive in Puget Sound, almost all beach dives, and am a Photographer and like to carry a full pro sized DSLR, double strobes, large ports and domes, steel tanks, drysuit, etc. so it can be a workout. I hiked/climbed Chief Mountain in Montana the previous summer so conditioning shouldn't be an issue.

I am not on any medication.

Thanks in advance for sharing similar experiences or thoughts.

You said you occasionally feel symptoms; can you expand on that? Have you had an echocardiogram? If so, when, and what was your ejection fraction?

Are you in the US? If so, let me know your location and I may be able to link you up with a diving physician in your area.

Best regards,
DDM

Yeah, just to reinforce my statement above, the only reason I posted was to let you know that FOR ME, the history of the ablation ALONE was not a contraindication to diving, according to my cardiologist, the doc who did the ablation or my own experience of no recurrence after the procedure. Obviously, your overall cardiac (and other) health is the main thing to be evaluated.

Interestingly, before my procedure, I found one of the triggers for my a fib was hypoxia (it got really bad when I went skiing in the Colorado mountains), and it rarely happened at depth.

DDM can chime in on that theory, but if it bears out, maybe you can get your insurance company to pay for CCR training... then you can spend lots of time at 1.3! :D

You said you occasionally feel symptoms; can you expand on that? Have you had an echocardiogram? If so, when, and what was your ejection fraction?

Are you in the US? If so, let me know your location and I may be able to link you up with a diving physician in your area.

Best regards,
DDM

I am in the US. Seattle/Tacoma area. I am scheduling an appointment with G Lee Dolack, MD, the Cardiac Electrophysiology Dr. that did my procedure before I dive again.

My symptoms are rare and minor and I only notice them at night. Any normal daytime activity, even just walking around, and I don't think about it. I would describe it as a very low, dull pain on the left side of my chest. Could be stress or intestines for all I know.

Not that it is accurate by any means but I have an Apple Watch 5 and it has never detected Afib and my heart rate and patterns look normal.

"Have you had an echocardiogram? If so, when, and what was your ejection fraction? " No but I assume I'll get a number of tests.

Thanks,

I am in the US. Seattle/Tacoma area. I am scheduling an appointment with G Lee Dolack, MD, the Cardiac Electrophysiology Dr. that did my procedure before I dive again.

My symptoms are rare and minor and I only notice them at night. Any normal daytime activity, even just walking around, and I don't think about it. I would describe it as a very low, dull pain on the left side of my chest. Could be stress or intestines for all I know.

Not that it is accurate by any means but I have an Apple Watch 5 and it has never detected Afib and my heart rate and patterns look normal.

"Have you had an echocardiogram? If so, when, and what was your ejection fraction? " No but I assume I'll get a number of tests.

Thanks,

You're close to an excellent hyperbaric facility in Virginia Mason Hospital. PM sent.

Reactions: GRH
Yeah, just to reinforce my statement above, the only reason I posted was to let you know that FOR ME, the history of the ablation ALONE was not a contraindication to diving, according to my cardiologist, the doc who did the ablation or my own experience of no recurrence after the procedure. Obviously, your overall cardiac (and other) health is the main thing to be evaluated.

Interestingly, before my procedure, I found one of the triggers for my a fib was hypoxia (it got really bad when I went skiing in the Colorado mountains), and it rarely happened at depth.

DDM can chime in on that theory, but if it bears out, maybe you can get your insurance company to pay for CCR training... then you can spend lots of time at 1.3! :D

Ha, I have NO interest in CCR training; I just want to get back in the water and once I get my sea lungs back, start hauling my camera down with me.

I'll know more in December but last Dr. visit was assured my heart is in excellent shape and I have no limitations, am not on any medication.

If I can make it up the scree on Chief Mt., I think I can dive :).

George_Chief_Mt_800p.jpg Chief_Mt_a_800p.jpg

I'm a doc but not that kind of doc. And I'm DEFINITELY not trying to give you advice on diving. Just replying as a fellow diver and patient.

I had a cryo ablation a few years ago for A. Fib. Worked great. I now regularly do technical CCR diving in the New York City area waters, with a heavy (JJ) rebreather, a slung AL80, sometimes another slung deco tank, dry suit and a full sized metal DSLR rig with dual strobes.

Good luck!
I'm 64 and had a successful cardiac ablation in May. The cardiologist who did the procedure said that I'm clear now for any level of physical activity. (I workout regularly). When I mentioned diving, he said I would need more time. I understand the reasons due to the nature of the procedure itself and I won't dive until I get the all clear. Is there a general guideline (timewise) that is referred to?

Jorge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom