How long before phone-based uw cases eat the low end computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with @Johnoly, it's more of a concern for action camera companies than dive computers. I'm all for having a nice bright display on my dive computer but I also like a nice big cell phone. My phone is WAY too big to wear on my wrist, even without a housing. If I have to own a second cell phone so that I'll have one small enough, I might as well just own a purpose built dive computer.

Cameras and video equipment on the other hand... My S20 ultra takes nice stills when there's good light. Video quality is a little inferior to my gopro. I think action cameras still have an edge in quality. A cheap housing plus existing cell phone would be cheaper than a brand name gopro or paralenz. Still more expensive than the cheapo knock-off gopro devices.

Some will buy them but I don't see them taking scuba by storm anytime soon.

Every dive shop that I've been into which USED to sell the kraken housing does not sell the kraken (or any other dive phone case) anymore...

Not going to happen. The form factor is wrong. Smartwatches might do it.

I've had this same thought - why not make good use of the powerful computing device we carry around with us?

For me, the biggest barrier would getting to the point where I trust whatever waterproof case it goes in. Technology is always advancing, and I can see a day where I'm reasonably confident that I'll surface with a working phone. Whenever I use my gopro (not always) I take a moment to double check the seal and lube the o ring before splashing and I've never had a problem.

Personally I love the idea and consider it inevitable. I'll put down $100 right now that I'll see it before I die. Any takers? o_O:wink:

Personally I love the idea and consider it inevitable. I'll put down $100 right now that I'll see it before I die. Any takers? o_O:wink:
I don't see it if smartphones continue to have the same form factor. However at some point the primary display could shift to a HUD on glasses or even holographic projection and then the personal computing device morphs from a smartphone form into something more convenient. Probably a watch form. At that point, there will be little need for a dedicated dive computer for recreational dives.

Interesting situation. It is useful to consider the problems to be solved in order to turn a cell phone into a dive computer.

The obstacles I see are
- waterproof case
- pressure sensor to sense depth

Cases exist, but how waterproof are they? And how much do they cost? Cell phones are large and flat - they present the worst case for making a waterproof case that will withstand pressure at depth without collapsing in on your phone and crushing it.

And you need a pressure sensor with a means to connect it to your phone ( well every model of popular phone).

The market is extremely small. There is no economy of scale. Waterproof cell phone cases will always cost more than an entry level dive computer...

I don't see it if smartphones continue to have the same form factor. However at some point the primary display could shift to a HUD on glasses or even holographic projection and then the personal computing device morphs from a smartphone form into something more convenient. Probably a watch form. At that point, there will be little need for a dedicated dive computer for recreational dives.
I'd love to see a cell phone with a display similar to the no-glasses 3d display that the Nintendo 3ds kids toy had. That would be a nice incremental upgrade in cell phones.

The market is extremely small. There is no economy of scale. Waterproof cell phone cases will always cost more than an entry level dive computer...

This is an excellent point - but I might guess that waterproof cases won't need to be made for each specific model of phone and a 'one size fits most' product will likely win out, which will help the economy of scale problem a lot.

There's not many "always / never" statements I'll agree with. Certainly not this one. Never say never.

The camera on the latest Samsung is incredible. That, and I could read Kindle on long safety stops would be a big plus.
I would record whale noises and play them while waiting.

Interesting situation. It is useful to consider the problems to be solved in order to turn a cell phone into a dive computer.

The obstacles I see are
- waterproof case
- pressure sensor to sense depth

Cases exist, but how waterproof are they? And how much do they cost? Cell phones are large and flat - they present the worst case for making a waterproof case that will withstand pressure at depth without collapsing in on your phone and crushing it.

And you need a pressure sensor with a means to connect it to your phone ( well every model of popular phone).

The Kraken phone housing did incorporate a depth and temp sensor which connected to the phone for integration with their dive computer app.

I don't see too many people putting their expensive smartphone in a $300+ housing to use as a dive computer when you can buy a decent dedicated dive computer for $300 or less! I personally will not put my $1300 iPhone in a housing and risk losing it while diving, plus I like features like air integration and will probably be buying a Scubapro HUD for my 50th birthday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom