Diving after hip replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a friend have one of their hips replaced. They had to take it easy during the healing process, but after that was over, they started to hit the exercise bike to rebuild both strength and stamina, and by the time they went on their next dive trip it was better than it had been in years.

She said the key was to take it easy during the initial healing phase and when she did start to exercise, it was non-impact.

Among other joint replacements, I had one hip replaced twice (1st implant was defective and recalled), and have had no problems diving. I do have a few suggestions. Chose your orthopedic surgeon carefully. Pick one that specializes in hips, does a lot of them, and has great current reviews. Follow your orthopedic surgeon's instructions, especially do the physical therapy and follow precautions as directed, even if it hurts (and it will), and don't try to hurry the healing process. Finally, keep the incision clean and dry until the wound is healed. Some surgeons are a bit optimistic about when you can shower/bathe, but now I always followed the advice from my sister, who used to do wound care at a major hospital in Houston, and frequently had to deal with wound infections caused by patients getting the wound wet before it was sufficiently healed . Her guidance to me was "...surgeons use a boiler plate guidance for when you can shower/bathe, but not all patients heal at the same rate, so whatever you do, do not get the wound wet until the incision is healed regardless of what the surgeon tells you." The only time I failed to follow her guidance was after a knee replacement when I was hot to get back to snorkeling as a means to rebuild the leg muscles for diving, and just as she predicted, I had a problem.

I had my right hip replaced in December 2018. It was bone on bone arthritis and I had instantaneous relief. It was anterior, which makes all the difference. I was walking without a cane in 8 days and on my bike on the trainer in 2 weeks. My surgeon cut me loose for all activities including weight training at 6 weeks. I wasn't back in the water for several months but not because of the surgery. People ask me how my hip is doing and I say it's the only part of my body that doesn't hurt. I was still road cycling right up until my surgery, so being in shape going in definitely sped up recovery.

Had my left knee replaced 9 years ago and my right knee replaced 2 years ago. I was diving 30 days post op and full cave diving 34 days post op. My surgeon told me not to get the surgical site wet till it was completely healed. I said that’s alright I have a dry suit. Surgeon asked my wife if I was kidding. Nope she said.

I've had both my hips replaced, twice each, has never slowed me down with regard to diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom