Seagfrogs SF-01 strobe : feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P.K.A.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I came across the Seafrogs SF-01 strobe recently. Not much of review online but the price is almost the same as Inon S2000. The only different is Seafrogs SF-01 has GN32 while Inon S2000 has GN20.

Is quite popular among Taiwanese divers where I saw some of their posts on FB (among them are Joe Chang; do check out his profile)

Quick question; Anyone has 1st hand experience with the Seafrogs SF-01?

Interesting, this one appears to be patterned after Sea & Sea strobes, unlike their previous ST-100 which was patterned after Inons.
No personal experience with SF-01, but I do own a pair of ST-100 Pros. With that older model, their optical triggering is slave-TTL only - all the controls other than on/off do nothing; the strobe just follows the guiding trigger (camera flash or whatever). I believe wired triggering works in manual mode (but does not support TTL), but I have not tested it myself. Also, after about a year, the magnetic switches rusted out and now there is no way to turn on the modeling lights. Aside from that, the ST-100 were adequate strobes, and I haven't had any leaks or other in-water issues, aside from the ones described - if the SF-01 model has functional controls, it looks like a fairly good value proposition.

Interesting, this one appears to be patterned after Sea & Sea strobes, unlike their previous ST-100 which was patterned after Inons.
No personal experience with SF-01, but I do own a pair of ST-100 Pros. With that older model, their optical triggering is slave-TTL only - all the controls other than on/off do nothing; the strobe just follows the guiding trigger (camera flash or whatever). I believe wired triggering works in manual mode (but does not support TTL), but I have not tested it myself. Also, after about a year, the magnetic switches rusted out and now there is no way to turn on the modeling lights. Aside from that, the ST-100 were adequate strobes, and I haven't had any leaks or other in-water issues, aside from the ones described - if the SF-01 model has functional controls, it looks like a fairly good value proposition.

These are the specs for SF01 :
  • Guide Nº on land: 32
  • Connection: Optical Connection / Electrical Connection
  • Strobe Control Mode:
    • Manual Flash
    • Manual Flash + Focus light
    • Focus light
    • LM (learning mode)
    • TM (test mode)
  • Manual settings: 7 steps
  • Strobe Beam Angle: >120º
  • Focus Light Beam Angle: 20º
  • Colour temp at full power: Approx. 5000-6000K
  • Colour temp with diffuser: 5400K
  • Recycle time: 1.5 - 2.5 seconds
  • Flash Capacity: Approx. 500 flashes
  • Battery capacity indicator: yes, green light > 50%, yellow light 25-50%, red light 10-25%
  • Focus Light Intensity: 6w LED - 200 lumen
  • Focus Light Burn Time: Approx. 6.5 h
  • Compatible Batteries: 2x 18650 Litium-Ion batteries *
  • Over-pressure relief valve: yes
  • Working Temperature: 0ºC - 30ºC / 32ºF - 8ºF (water temperature)
  • Storage Temperature: 0ºC - 30ºC / 32ºF - 86ºF (air temperature)
  • Body Material / Color: Polycarbonate resin / black
  • Depth rating: 100m / 328ft
Looks impressive on paper but the question is ; the durability?

Guide numbers are often works of fiction, particularly for underwater strobes and so were the specs on the last Sea Frogs strobe. It does look like quite the copy of a YS-D2 the only material difference seems to be the screw on battery cap instead of the S&S push and turn type. You would have to wonder if it is being made in the factory that was making the YS-D2 before S&S put a stop to that and returned manufacturing to Japan due to poor reliability.

You would have to wonder if it is being made in the factory that was making the YS-D2 before S&S put a stop to that and returned manufacturing to Japan due to poor reliability.

You got a point there. Maybe is from the same manufacturer since the model is very identical to YS-D2. It is not surprising if that is true since the Chinese is trying to penetrate the market. Please note I m not agreeing nor against China products. I believe every competition will benefit the user in some way.

Guide numbers are often works of fiction, particularly for underwater strobes and so were the specs on the last Sea Frogs strobe. It does look like quite the copy of a YS-D2 the only material difference seems to be the screw on battery cap instead of the S&S push and turn type. You would have to wonder if it is being made in the factory that was making the YS-D2 before S&S put a stop to that and returned manufacturing to Japan due to poor reliability.

Apparently S&S didn't want their molds back either.

Just quick-tested this strobe in one dive weekend. I am impressed by quality, for as far as I tested it. In my setup I had a ST-01 Pro in the other side of the camera. Decent strobe. Triggers good, compared to the st. No issues with missed triggers and well adjustable. Also the ability to learn flash trigger is great.

Cannot compare this to what pro photographers use, but as a relatively cheaper strobe I like this one, and I am going to buy another, as the st-01 is slowly rotting away. (Mind you, I bought this one as a step up, while my other st-01 drowned, last year.)

Just quick-tested this strobe in one dive weekend. I am impressed by quality, for as far as I tested it. In my setup I had a ST-01 Pro in the other side of the camera. Decent strobe. Triggers good, compared to the st. No issues with missed triggers and well adjustable. Also the ability to learn flash trigger is great.

Cannot compare this to what pro photographers use, but as a relatively cheaper strobe I like this one, and I am going to buy another, as the st-01 is slowly rotting away. (Mind you, I bought this one as a step up, while my other st-01 drowned, last year.)

Thanks for the update...mind to share your results ( pics taken using the strobe)

BTW there are LM and TM modes for the strobe..are they similar to TTL and Manual mode?...trying to get an additional strobe without burning my pocket

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom