2 different Oceanic Pro Plus 3 unwarranted violations within 12 hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
5 divers, 2 Shearwater Perdix computers, A Pro Plus X, and 2 Pro Plus 3's.

All diving identical profiles and Nitrox blends. All well within reg profiles, absolutely nothing froggy.

My wife's Pro Plus 3 began flashing UP about 20 minutes into the third dive of the second day, max dept of 50 feet. Other 2 dives may have been to 60 -80 feet. With the last 2/3 of the dives above 40 feet. Not fighting current, easy Cozumel drift dives.

Now the really wierd part- the next dive, another Pro Plus 3 registers a violation. If I remember right, my wife's computer was flashing a 6 with the VIO warning.

My Pro Plus 2 was bulletproof for over 7 years and is still going strong on my drysuit reg setup. My wife's proPlus 2 was just as good except the back light died on it. I figured the 3 would be an upgrade.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Seems like could only be one of two things (assuming no "actual" violation occurred).
  1. Depth sensor error
  2. Inadvertently set the wrong o2% on an earlier dive.
If it happened to me, would most likely be due to choice #2. I did forget to adjust that once.

Are the conservative factor settings all the same too?

oops...inadvertent cut and paste...delete.

Seems like could only be one of two things (assuming no "actual" violation occurred).
  1. Depth sensor error
  2. Inadvertently set the wrong o2% on an earlier dive.
If it happened to me, would most likely be due to choice #2. I did forget to adjust that once.

I've done that too.

I thought about that, but I set the gas mixes to 36,32,and 21. It would be very difficult to increase the 02 setting to a level that would register a violation as you have to hold your finger on the button to run it up. It even has built in stops that require you to lift and repress.

I'm gonna start with a new battery. It still registers depth and air pressure in gauge mode so we're good there as long as we don't push any deco limits. The big problem is now she wants an AI shearwater like mine.

Santa said she hasn't been that good this year....

Thanks again for the response.

Jay

...register a violation...
Many PP2's were just like that too. If it goes back to the factory, they'll probably tell you it was an ingress water just like the PP2's. That why we all removed the QD's.

My Oceanic Veo 100 Nx went out the same way. It started by giving me a very short bottom time on one dive. It didn't seem right to me, but by riding its NDL and staying 10'-20' above my group (it was in Coz, so viz was not a problem), I was able to keep it out of violation.

During the SI, I kept a close watch on its planning function which simply cycles through NDL time at depth in 10' increments. That progressed normally over the SI. Before we splashed I made a note of the NDL for the briefed max depth. It was a shallow second dive on 38%, so plenty of NDL time. Good thing because it went into violation within 5 minutes. The time and depth both appeared accurate, so I essentially used it as a gauge and went by the original NDL time.

I haven't investigated it any further as that happened to be the last dive of my trip and I had already ordered its replacement.

Hi @Jayfarmlaw

You didn't say, were the NDLs incorrect, inordinately short, at the beginning of the dives? Were the NDLs exceeded and the violation was missed deco? Or, do you know what the reason was for the computer signaling "UP"?

I had 2 Pro Pluses purchased in 2002 in which the pressure sensors went out after 13-14 years. They started calculating NDL as they were at altitude, and the NDLs were short. Huish replaced both for $175 each. Both of these are still in service, my wife and daughter love them. They have always been used with QDs

I've done that too.....

Had a reminder scheduled to wait a few months before asking you the final outcome of the ProPlus 3 violation til you had it back in the water. Or did you send it back to the factory and they said 'flood' cause it's on a QD ? Just curious before I give up my beloved PP2's and jump up to the PP3 and find I made a big mistake. (disclaimer-I hate QD leaks)

My PP2 started referencing NDLs to a bogus high elevation baseline. Check your Dive Planner NDLs against the published numbers at the back of the manual. My PP2 thought it was a lot higher than it actually was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom