Timing of morning twilight dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard that diving super early as the night and day shifts change and the reef awakens can be a worthwhile experience. What I can't figure out is the exact timing of such a dive vis-a-vis sunrise--i.e. do I enter the water an hour before sunrise, half an hour before, or at sunrise? I'll be in Roatan (cocoview) so I'm thinking of early morning shore dives.

I've always entered the water just as the horizon is turning gray, so it is still pretty dark, but you can see the false dawn.

Good question. There are three stages of twilight: astronomical, nautical, and civil, defined by how dark it is as the sun approaches the horizon from below. For example, tomorrow in Roatan the sunrise is at 0546. Correspondingly:
Screenshot_20201107-202630_LunaSolCal.jpg

I would enter the water (for a 1 hour dive) about 0500, and mostly do a night dive before the reef "turns over." The latest I would enter for a dawn dive would be 0520, and hope to catch the turnover. Have fun! In my experience, the reef turnover is more dramatic at dawn than at dusk.

I usually go in roughly 45 minutes prior to sunrise (given a 90 minute dive).

Gives you enough time to enjoy both the dark and the sunrise

You may also want to consider the site topology with respect to morning shadows caused by the wall.

For example: morning dives off West Caicos are always in shadow because the sun has not yet risen above the wall.

I am a bit fuzzy on the wall orientation off Cocoview but you may find that morning starts sooner to the left? Or I could be backwards?

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom