Taming the long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Questions pertaining to securing the long hose appear periodically on Scuba Board. In one instance I did not provide an elaborate response on the techniques that I have used to address this issue. I finally got around to making a video on the subject.

Here are some of the statements on scubaboard that prompted me to make the video.

“On occasion, I do not take the light. One instance was on my recent trip to Bonaire. I tucked the cord between my belly and my belt. But I kept finding the get untidy and ride up my head.“

“I'll either tuck it into my belt but often times I've found it comes undone. “

“I usually tuck the hose into the harness belt (don't wear a weight belt). I will say that it tends to come out during the dive and you have to stuff it/adjust it periodically.“

“7' hose ALWAYS comes out of the waste band for me.“

That contraption plus “d ring on right side for decompression bottles and stages” is potential for a real nice mess should you need to deploy it. As @rddvet said, a can light or even moving that pouch to where a can light should be would alleviate the need for this.

Tuck it or put it under the can light (or faux can light). All this other stuff is completely unnecessary. Makes me want to say one of those annoying sayings I hate saying: gear solution to a skills issue

Using a canister light or a faux can light is the same as gear solution to the problem. Putting the hose under either a canister light or a faux canister light does not provide tension the same way a doubled hose and holder does.

How many people dive all the time with a canister light? I use a cordless can light so I don’t need to mess with the canister or the cord.

That contraption plus “d ring on right side for decompression bottles and stages” is potential for a real nice mess should you need to deploy it. As @rddvet said, a can light or even moving that pouch to where a can light should be would alleviate the need for this.

if you use the holder in the proper manner there is no mess when deploying the hose as it is outside of any of the clips. There is simply nothing for the hose to become entangled in. In fact it is the same path that you would be using if you pushed your belt secured hose to the rear as some practice.

Good intentions @divezonescuba but I don’t understand why I need this. I don’t have any problem tucking my hose in my belt. This is like the landing gear on a Honda Goldwing, the engineers are trying to solve the wrong problem.

Occasionally my long hose slips out from under my belt. I just tuck it back in. Completely a non-issue.

When tech diving, which is what the video is discussing, I use a can light. Normally I would tuck the hose under the can but since my can is a short one (Orcatorch D620) it does not hold it well enough.

This is why i tuck it into my belt. In this config and in STMB, I have never had my long hose slip out. A snug but not tight waistbelt should not allow the long hose to slip out.

I don't think your solutions are terrible for you. If they work for you and you have not had any failures, then dive it. But I do find that giving this info out to say, new tech divers or rec divers coming to ling hose for the first time, presents them a problem that doesn't exist for most people.

Good video and well thought out as far as how you were going to present it but I find it highly unnecessary.

Great video divezonescuba thanks for your time

because of my size the long hose is not long enough so one of your pinching type devices is the bomb

anyhow despite being in the Alec Peirce unadulterated long hose camp with these pesky completely
unnecessary hoses my wonders have become useful as extension hoses for blowing and for full face
masks with which to go painting and go sandblasting and as contributing members of the workshop

now if you do caves or are told to wear them or do long hose canister reel Goodman ballet go for it

Only because YOU want to do it

How many people dive all the time with a canister light? I use a cordless can light so I don’t need to mess with the canister or the cord.

Twiddling around with a metre long cord, where are all these people going for hours with their millions
of lumens, and do you even know how much they cost, a few sets of good used gear to go DIVING with

full.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom