Fins for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in 3mm wetsuit or less (rashguard and tech shorts) all year long. I switch back and forth between my Deep 6 Eddy fins and my UTD Precision fins no matter the cylinder config I am using. I dive, twinset, STBM and SM using those fins.

The Eddy fins are a bit more comfortable due to the foot pocket but both fins perform very well. I don't have any rhyme or reason as to why and when I switch them. It just comes down to if I feel like black or orange or that day.

I like jet fins. They're great. Also RK3s, but I think the jets are better and more powerful. I believe the overlapping vent design on Jets and F1s preforms better than the more open, non-overlapping vents on fins like the RK3.

Anyone have opinions on F1s vs. Jets? Of course they're very similar, but small differences if you had to choose one? F1s have slightly smaller vent openings, wondering if that makes any perceivable difference pro or con.

Also - heavy fins vs. light fins plus ankle weights. I know ankle weights are looked down upon, are they really any worse than diving heavy fins?

I like jet fins. They're great. Also RK3s, but I think the jets are better and more powerful. I believe the overlapping vent design on Jets and F1s preforms better than the more open, non-overlapping vents on fins like the RK3.

Anyone have opinions on F1s vs. Jets? Of course they're very similar, but small differences if you had to choose one? F1s have slightly smaller vent openings, wondering if that makes any perceivable difference pro or con.

Also - heavy fins vs. light fins plus ankle weights. I know ankle weights are looked down upon, are they really any worse than diving heavy fins?

Can't say I've got something against ankle weights, but I think one's more likely to forget them while packing than to forget his fins, that's why I prefer heavy fins.

I own F1s. I have dived with Jets. They feel very different. The F1s don't *feel* as stiff, yet they still give good power and are fantastic for back finning. The F1s are WAY more comfortable to my feet than the Jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom