Causes of Sticky Inflator Button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TC:
My go to fix is to spray the hell out of the whole inflator with silicon.
Sorry, no silicone spray for me near anything that is related to breathing....would not want to orally inflate a BCD that has been sprayed with silicone.

There is only one cause for a sticky inflator button: The inflator needs to be replaced.

Okay, I'm joking and being serious at the same time. A sticking inflator is a serious safety hazard. I knew a diver here locally that died of the bends in Cozumel a few years ago. The (entirely plausible) rumor was that his inflator stuck and he corked to the surface.

To ME, when an inflator shows the first sign of sticking, I just replace it. They are too cheap for me to spend my time doing anything else. I keep a spare in my Box o' Parts that goes with me on dive trips.

Sorry, no silicone spray for me near anything that is related to breathing....would not want to orally inflate a BCD that has been sprayed with silicone.

It should be food grade silicone spray, which should be safe to put your mouth on but maybe not inhale. But you shouldn't be inhaling from your BCD inflator anyway because of the algae, mold and bacteria that may be growing in there.

In the event anyone is interested in the ending of the story -- the Edge Mini Inflator did fit the Sea Elite Scout BC, and all is fixed now. About $35. Easy repair. (The generic 1" inflators will not work on that BC.)

I will make a point of swapping them out every year or two (or at the first sign of trouble). I appreciate everyone's help and guidance (as always). Great forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom