Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer Monastery on an ankle slapper day with 50 foot vis, sun shining but not too hot, no river flowing and the berm gone. Who do I talk to to make this happen?

I prefer Monastery on an ankle slapper day with 50 foot vis, sun shining but not too hot, no river flowing and the berm gone. Who do I talk to to make this happen?

Way, way, ad infinitum, above my pay grade . . .

Two dives at Breakwater today. Talk about a tale of 2 cities. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. First dive was 25-30ft vis and blue. Amazing. Second dive was 10ft +/- more minus and green. 50 degree water. Still a great day. I think getting out of the water between dives kills vis. I need to tether a second set of gear so I don't loose vis between dives.

Pt Lobos on Sunday had 10' viz in the cove but under 40' viz opened up. Out at Twin Peaks viz was likely 50' plus. Lots of surge down to at least 60' ; we got blown through Taco and it was kinda awesome. Temp hit 48 F at the bottom. 71 min run , 135' max.

Two dives:

North Monastery: best left unsaid, in polite company -- those unseasonable winds, from the South weren't helpful. Twenty five minutes in that muck, was just about enough.

San Carlos Beach: miraculously, 6 meter-plus visibility; a light surge; many nasty cormorants; and hundreds upon hundreds of sea nettles, the most that I have seen in some years, along the jetty; nice day to be in a FFM, since I managed to catch a few sizable ones to the face . . .

Two dives:

North Monastery: best left unsaid, in polite company -- those unseasonable winds, from the South weren't helpful. Twenty five minutes in that muck, was just about enough.

San Carlos Beach: miraculously, 6 meter-plus visibility; a light surge; many nasty cormorants; and hundreds upon hundreds of sea nettles, the most that I have seen in some years, along the jetty; nice day to be in a FFM, since I managed to catch a few sizable ones to the face . . .

That sucks! I don’t miss diving in NorCal. Sure I’ve had some very memorable dives, but most of the dives near Monterey pretty much sucked.

That sucks! I don’t miss diving in NorCal. Sure I’ve had some very memorable dives, but most of the dives near Monterey pretty much sucked.

My experience has been quite the opposite, over the years, the season and weather permitting.

Provided that we don't experience sizable storms, the diving is best done through the Winter and Spring months, while the water remains cold -- no algal blooms.

I have experienced decades of spectacular diving in Kali-fornia . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom