A new kind of long stay visa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have the time then why not. I would imagine money is NOT an issue.
Good luck and looking forward to the resulting trip report.

I can't go now

@stevenl, between Phuket, Lanta, Tao or maybe Chang, what do you think is the best area to combine moderate amounts of diving with remote work (i.e. reliable Internet access in a reasonably priced monthly rental place)?

@stevenl, between Phuket, Lanta, Tao or maybe Chang, what do you think is the best area to combine moderate amounts of diving with remote work (i.e. reliable Internet access in a reasonably priced monthly rental place)?

I stayed in Kamala and scheduled a day of diving with @stevenl . Had a great dive trip to Phi Phi even if it was a large cattle boat. Wonderful guide and our internet in Kamala was top notch. I watched Netflix seamlessly at night.

Diving has been really good, with not many people around.

Someone else said Phuket is a ghost town, which is not really true. The main tourist areas are really quiet, other places like Kamala anmd Rawai are quite lively. Phuket has of course the advantage it is within easy reach from all over Thailand, so is one of the first places people think about when wanting to go for a few days away from it all. But with still severe entry restrictions, for the moment there are exclusively people visiting who are living in Thailand.

For daytrips there are no issues, but for liveaboards the choice is limited though. Many boats not running, especially the ones mainly aiming at foreigners.

Yes Steve, same here in Bangkok, for those of us living here its really as good as it gets, but for the tourists areas, to me it really is a ghost town, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. My biggest surprise was Samui, I was there last week and so many places are boarded up, I feel for the locals....

Yes Steve, same here in Bangkok, for those of us living here its really as good as it gets, but for the tourists areas, to me it really is a ghost town, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. My biggest surprise was Samui, I was there last week and so many places are boarded up, I feel for the locals....
Samui and other islands there are much more difficult to reach than Phuket. So yes, they're hurting even more.

I wrote an email to a couple dive shops on Koh Lanta - one straight up bounced, but another responded:

Sadly, due to a lack of international tourism, we will be unable to open this high season.

We know that Lanta Diver is trying to run one trip per week on each Saturday, weather permitting, however other than that, very few (almost zero) tourist related businesses are open here on Lanta at the moment. I don't expect this to change much over the next 6 months.

I think our best plan is to aim for reopening for the next high season in October 2021.

So Koh Lanta is probably out as a potential destination. Still waiting for a reply from Sairee Cottage Diving on Koh Tao.

As long as there is still a 2 weeks quarantine I don't think it will make much difference.
I thought it has been reduced to 10 days but is still too much. And I might have to add another 2 wks when return home!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom