Math is Scary - Drowning is (probably) Scarier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Almost everyone I dive with uses something like this. If you check your gauge and it’s not what you expected to see you know something is off.

Reactions: oya
You are aware it isn't taught. You may or may not be aware that divers aren't drowning left and right.

Are you sure it's necessary? If so, what makes you think it is necessary?

Personally I don't do it for recreational dives. Like most people, I bring a tank, and when I get to a preset limit (usually 1000psi on an 80cuft tank) I end the dive. I think that's pretty much what is taught. If I planned to dive for an hour but hit 1000psi in 15 minutes, then I only get a 15 minute dive. Simple and effective.

If I was doing a cave or tech dive I would do things differently.

"Divers aren't drowning left and right."

Anyone who has ever worked as a destination divemaster anywhere on the planet will tell you: it's sort of a miracle that it doesn't happen at least once a week. On their boat. And would if they weren't there to monitor 12 people's pressure for them.

"Divers aren't drowning left and right."

Anyone who has ever worked as a destination divemaster anywhere on the planet will tell you: it's sort of a miracle that it doesn't happen at least once a week. On their boat. And would if they weren't there to monitor 12 people's pressure for them.
So are you saying that the key to safe diving is learning to monitor your pressure without a DM telling you to?

So are you saying that the key to safe diving is learning to monitor your pressure without a DM telling you to?

It would make a refreshing start.

Good article.
But i think for 99% of the typical holiday divers its enough to just turn at 100-150 (depends of course) bar and maybe go a bit shallower on the way back.

In a perfect world everyone should know their sac, min gas and all that stuff. But thats just not happening.

I do agree, that there has to be a minimum of knowledge about air consumption and every diver has to check their own gauge. But as we can see all over the world. This is not happening, too. Which is sad.

I dunno who Roger is but I love his writing style. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, divers that are most likely to run out of air are not SB members, and probably could not be bothered to think about air use with respect to RMV/SAC or anticipate air usage for planned dive depth. This should be hammered home in OW classes/dives, but is not.

Back
Top Bottom