Tips on venting from counterlung with Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimshady

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a Kirby Morgan Mod 1 and a BOV pod for it. I have not used it yet, so am looking for some tips to vent using this type of two piece mask/pod on a CCR. I could manually vent using the dump, but just looking for opinions from anyone who has used a FFM with CCR or this two piece pod system. Of course, I normally vent from my nose, but it seems like venting with this method with either a FFM or the pod system might just keep the gas in the loop?

Where's the vent on the CLs? What unit? Some don't even have an OPV afterall

I have 2 OPV's on my BM CL's. Do you own or have used a FFM on a CCR?

Lol.....nice suggestion. It is a Kirby Morgan mod 1. I use the comms for ps diving but want to use tge ccr for deeper searches.

Lol.....nice suggestion. It is a Kirby Morgan mod 1. I use the comms for ps diving but want to use tge ccr for deeper searches.
What jurisdiction allows CCR in public safety diving? This is absolutely verbotten in Washington State.

I have a Kirby Morgan Mod 1 and a BOV pod for it. I have not used it yet, so am looking for some tips to vent using this type of two piece mask/pod on a CCR. I could manually vent using the dump, but just looking for opinions from anyone who has used a FFM with CCR or this two piece pod system. Of course, I normally vent from my nose, but it seems like venting with this method with either a FFM or the pod system might just keep the gas in the loop?

I dive with the Kirby Morgan on my CCR. With the KM, whether the M48 Supermask or the Mod 1 (identical except for materials and price) the "exhale through nose" to vent works well. The reason is that the KM is a standard half mask from the upper lip upwards, so exhaling through the nose will get bubbles out of the top. On most other FFM, like the Drager etc, what you'd need to do is to act like you were clearing water, so trigger the purge valve and then exhale, the resistance on the purge is lower than the WOB on most CCR so the gas will escape the mask.

The KM has some benefits for CCR use that others don't, the ability to easily change to a bailout reg without removing the mask, and the long mouthpiece that reduces CO2 dead space issues common in other FFM are 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom