Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting side discussion. What and where are the coverage holes in the Iridium network, or is there a "coverage map" for Iridium that I can find on the web somewhere?

How does the PLB work in remote international waters? Also, in a diver situation, there will be no one to answer any phone if the PLB is triggered. Is there any PLB that allows two-way communication? How do you know if your signal has been received and help is on the way?
Not sure on the iridium holes.

PLBs and EPIRBs both work on the same frequencies and using the same satellites. Local response will vary by the location. Some areas are hooked in, and can respond quickly. Other areas, not so much, but you’d still have the same problem with InReach. Problem isn’t that the satellites don’t pick up the signal, it’s that local authorities aren’t equipped to listen or respond

The difference between InReach and PLB/EPIRB are who listens. With InReach and Spot, a private company receives the signal. They won’t be sending helicopters or boats to pick you up. With PLB,EPIRB the International COSPAS-SARSAT program receives the signal and will mobilize resources, or contact appropriate resources. When they get a signal, the first thing they do is try to verify the emergency by calling the numbers listed on the registration.

They state that the Iridium has 100% coverage of the planet, so you should be good.

Funny, my dropped calls and data download restarts in the middle of the Caribbean Sea beg to differ.

RE: PLB coverage, its the same as EPIRBs. They both operate on 406mhz which is internationally monitored by the US/France/Canada/Russia. EPIRB for aircraft is known as ELT.

Funny, my dropped calls and data download restarts in the middle of the Caribbean Sea beg to differ.

Satellite phones are a bit more problematic for constant contact specially those with a less powerful antennae and what's around you or overhead can have a large effect. But from the claimed coverage you should still be able to make contact from anywhere around the globe. Just be sure to predownload games and movies for when you ....plan.... to be lost at sea.:D:confused:

Satellite phones are a bit more problematic for constant contact specially those with a less powerful antennae and what's around you or overhead can have a large effect. But from the claimed coverage you should still be able to make contact from anywhere around the globe. Just be sure to predownload games and movies for when you ....plan.... to be lost at sea.:D:confused:

This was an onboard sat phone with a large antenna. Not $1000 handheld. Iridium service just sucks.

Not sure on the iridium holes.

PLBs and EPIRBs both work on the same frequencies and using the same satellites. Local response will vary by the location. Some areas are hooked in, and can respond quickly. Other areas, not so much, but you’d still have the same problem with InReach. Problem isn’t that the satellites don’t pick up the signal, it’s that local authorities aren’t equipped to listen or respond

The difference between InReach and PLB/EPIRB are who listens. With InReach and Spot, a private company receives the signal. They won’t be sending helicopters or boats to pick you up. With PLB,EPIRB the International COSPAS-SARSAT program receives the signal and will mobilize resources, or contact appropriate resources. When they get a signal, the first thing they do is try to verify the emergency by calling the numbers listed on the registration.

I looked at the two further. The PLB seems to be more effective in coverage because it uses a worldwide military satellite system, and also immediately alert governmental authorities in the US and Europe, who will then coordinate with local authorities in other countries. The InReach system is better with communications, and it goes through a private Iridium satellite network, and then a private company called GEOS, who receives the SOS from the device and then coordinates search and rescue by contacting the proper authorities. But, even the GEOS website has a disclaimer that their system is not equivalent to the PLB/EPIRB system, which should be used in an "immediate life threatening emergency." So, for absolute emergency use, looks like a PLB has an edge, but still has the problem of not being able to two-way communicate.

Still, the inReach integration is nothing any other computer can offer at the moment, and it still looks like something that can be used with a high level of confidence all over the world as well.

Not exactly. If you trigger it for a hoax, then yes you’ll be in trouble. If it is accidentally triggered, the Coast Guard will call the numbers you listed when you register it. I had an EPIRB trigger once. CG called me to verify. Since I wasn’t on the boat, they just asked me to verify that the EPIRB was still where I left it, and had not been stolen. I confirmed that, and called them back.

A diver missing their dive boat would constitute an emergency.

This is what I meant. It should only be used in a real emergency situation. If you triggrt it for something frivolous you may be in for a fine. This is what I was told by a company rep for one of the EPIRBs.

I'm looking for some test dives (*.fit files) from an mk2 to test my import function in Diving Log and add support for tank pressure profiles. So if someone with an mk2 has done some dives with tank pressure sensor, it would be great if you could send me some .fit files. Thank you!

I'm looking for some test dives (*.fit files) from an mk2 to test my import function in Diving Log and add support for tank pressure profiles. So if someone with an mk2 has done some dives with tank pressure sensor, it would be great if you could send me some .fit files. Thank you!

Other than beta testers who are typically under NDA not to share anything, you'll have to wait until the sensors come out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom