Trip Report: Oct 31 - Nov 8; How I learned to love wet rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outside of the breakfasts we never had a bad meal the entire trip Coz included. I'd defiantly return to Punta Sur and New Espicias on a return trip, the others are a maybe. I'm sure we missed some great stuff, so we'll keep exploring for sure next time we're back.

You did indeed miss some really good Cozumel eateries. None of the places you mentioned with the possible exception of Especias are on my short list. You had a really small sample size of the diving as well. I'm sorry the weather interfered so much with your trip.

You did indeed miss some really good Cozumel eateries. None of the places you mentioned with the possible exception of Especias are on my short list. You had a really small sample size of the diving as well. I'm sorry the weather interfered so much with your trip.

Love to hear any food recommendations for next time! I agree the # of ocean dives we got at Coz was really small, which is why we are keeping it in the dive vacation queue (Jamaica for example isn't anymore) but there enough new places to explore (Asia, Red Sea, Cabo Pulmo, Belize, Honduras, etc) that's its low on the list (which is true for most places we dive, we'd rather visit a lot of different places than return to ones we have been to previously). The weather "forced" us to really enjoy Playa more than expected and that turned out to be great. We would have been absolutely miserable stuck in our hotel room not diving. Learned a lesson, that probably didn't need to be taught (don't leave your passport behind).

I actually have no idea where we'll stay when we return so if you any recommendations I'd be all ears. We saw some resorts and communities between Playa and the shop and always Tulum, but not sure.

so many options right ? it mostly depends if you want to do an AI resort outside of town or a hotel / condo right in he heart of everything. we have done both and much prefer being right in town. if / when you start looking at options let me know. i am not the worlds leading expert on playa but i know it fairly well. my suggestion would be getting a condo in a good area that is close enough to walk to a dive shop. tons of options. and during off season or even shoulder season you can get some great deals.

The fridge at Hotel Coz wasn't a big deal, a little shocking for the tier/price but I included it more for posterity and anyone else considering it. One thing I didn't mention is that they didn't have any blankets on the beds. With the wonky AC remote we either woke up in the middle night freezing (I tried turning it off/on and then pressing the temp up arrow a bunch and it beeped a lot but still froze us out in the middle of the night) or turned it off prior to going to bed with the room getting a little damp/muggy by the time we woke up. They key cards were probably the most annoying part. One time it took us 6 consecutive trips (room -> front desk -> room) to get a key that worked, and they keycards worked for 1 maybe 2 entrances to the room before they failed again.

I've stayed there 4 times and never had problems. I would have insisted on a different room after the first night. I don't think the problem is with the key cards but with the reader. Some of them get flaky when their batteries get low.

Your experiences mirrored mine, the food is overall better in PDC than most places in Q.Roo. Sure you can find good places everywhere, but it was easier to find good places in PDC.

I haven't done too many cenote tours, but Tajma Ha was the reason I went down the cave route. During my return visit in July going into the cave zone it was also my favorite single dive of the trip.

I actually have no idea where we'll stay when we return so if you any recommendations I'd be all ears. We saw some resorts and communities between Playa and the shop and always Tulum, but not sure.

If it was just me alone, I would stay at XOC-Ha. If I was with someone that expected nicer accommodations, there are some AirBnBs in the PDC area that I would use.

I also rent a car so I can go out and explorer.

Mostly reiterating what Gordon said.

Especias was only place you went that is primarily a restaurant. If you are interested in food don’t go to a bar. I gather Lionfish pizza at Cerv Punta Sur is good but not normally on peoples lists as a pure restaurant. No name and thirsty cougar are ex pat bars that serve food to eat while you drink. Food fine, but that’s not why people go there. La Cocay, Guidos , Buccanos, Sorrisi, Kinta, Azul Madera, Rolandis and several others are more what people think of as nicer restaurants. Also plenty of downscale restaurants known for food as opposed to a place to drink.

Your dive guide was correct that 50-65 foot viz is pretty lousy for Cozumel. I think I dove on same day you did more or less. Palancar generally more known for coral formations/swim through than sea life, so lower viz hurts the experience more. If you see an Eagle ray/nurse shark/green moray 10 feet away at Cedral you don’t care as much whether viz was 60 or 100

All that said , diving in Asia and Red Sea almost certainly better than Coz. If you have an extra 20 hours each way for flights to Palau or Indonesia, go there ! Not being sarcastic, just think most people who come to Coz are partly doing for convenience to US/Canada. Think we compare favorably to other destinations near US but Asia is whole other beast. Asia is probably 3-10 times travel time and 2-3 times cost depending upon where you go. Worth trip if you have time and money. I have credit on live aboard in Palau I am hoping to use as soon as Covid allows :).

I am glad you liked cenotes though. Thank you for honest trip report.

Mostly reiterating what Gordon said.

Especias was only place you went that is primarily a restaurant. If you are interested in food don’t go to a bar. I gather Lionfish pizza at Cerv Punta Sur is good but not normally on peoples lists as a pure restaurant. No name and thirsty cougar are ex pat bars that serve food to eat while you drink. Food fine, but that’s not why people go there. La Cocay, Guidos , Buccanos, Sorrisi, Kinta, Azul Madera, Rolandis and several others are more what people think of as nicer restaurants. Also plenty of downscale restaurants known for food as opposed to a place to drink.

Your dive guide was correct that 50-65 foot viz is pretty lousy for Cozumel. I think I dove on same day you did more or less. Palancar generally more known for coral formations/swim through than sea life, so lower viz hurts the experience more. If you see an Eagle ray/nurse shark/green moray 10 feet away at Cedral you don’t care as much whether viz was 60 or 100

All that said , diving in Asia and Red Sea almost certainly better than Coz. If you have an extra 20 hours each way for flights to Palau or Indonesia, go there ! Not being sarcastic, just think most people who come to Coz are partly doing for convenience to US/Canada. Think we compare favorably to other destinations near US but Asia is whole other beast. Asia is probably 3-10 times travel time and 2-3 times cost depending upon where you go. Worth trip if you have time and money. I have credit on live aboard in Palau I am hoping to use as soon as Covid allows :).

I am glad you liked cenotes though. Thank you for honest trip report.

Guidos and Buccanos were on our list of places to go but couldn’t due to the ferry stranding us in Playa. The last night, when we went to Thirsty Cougar was really late and not much appeared to be open so it was a well this place is open. No name was somewhat similar for a Sunday lunch. I think we would have hit more of the highlights if we had been on island for the planned duration. So far Coz is my 4th in my reef diving Caribbean diving list (Bonaire, USVI, Aruba, Coz), factoring in diving and above water factors. I’ll be curious to see how it stacks up to Roatan /Utila, Belize, etc.

Guidos and Buccanos were on our list of places to go but couldn’t due to the ferry stranding us in Playa. The last night, when we went to Thirsty Cougar was really late and not much appeared to be open so it was a well this place is open. No name was somewhat similar for a Sunday lunch. I think we would have hit more of the highlights if we had been on island for the planned duration. So far Coz is my 4th in my reef diving Caribbean diving list (Bonaire, USVI, Aruba, Coz), factoring in diving and above water factors. I’ll be curious to see how it stacks up to Roatan /Utila, Belize, etc.
Here's hoping that the next time you go to Cozumel the weather will be nice (as it is most of the time), the viz is 80-100' or more (as it is most of the time), and that you have the time to visit some of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom