Garmin Mk2i - Locking out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4c1dburn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - anybody know if the Mk2i (or the old Mk1) lock you out, i.e. desert you, if you miss a deco stop.

Does the deco algorithm constantly recalculate decompression, even if you miss a planned stop?
Or, if you don’t follow the pre-set protocol and miss a stop, does it lock up?

I understand some manufacturers take that approach for liability reasons (eg the Suunto Eon Core does that I think), but obviously that’s no good if my computer bails on me in a bad situation.

[copied from scubatechphilippines.com]
“An example of this is the Suunto “Algorithm Lock”, whereby the computer automatically shuts you out for 48 hours if you violate a decompression ceiling for more than 3 minutes. The screen will display only an ‘ERROR’ message.

If, as a technical diver, you were in a position where you had to ascend beyond a designated stop (I can think of a few examples of those), the computer algorithm would simply abandon you. Compare that to other tech computers, which would re-calculate the ‘next best’ decompression schedule to get you safely to the surface.

Modern technical diving computers should never abandon the diver in-water.”

Wondering how the Mk2i handles that?

Thanks
J

Descent Mk2i - Dive Setup
Deco Lockout
Allows you to disable the decompression lockout feature. This feature prevents single-gas and multi-gas dives for 24 hours if you violate a decompression ceiling for more than three minutes.

NOTE: You can still disable the decompression lockout feature after violating a decompression ceiling.

Nice - overall good experience with the Mk1?
It is a good dive computer but could have been great if Garmin knew anything about diving or at least listened to their customers. Support is lacklustre and updates are few and far between.

Hi - anybody know if the Mk2i (or the old Mk1) lock you out, i.e. desert you, if you miss a deco stop.

Does the deco algorithm constantly recalculate decompression, even if you miss a planned stop?
Or, if you don’t follow the pre-set protocol and miss a stop, does it lock up?

I understand some manufacturers take that approach for liability reasons (eg the Suunto Eon Core does that I think), but obviously that’s no good if my computer bails on me in a bad situation.

[copied from scubatechphilippines.com]
“An example of this is the Suunto “Algorithm Lock”, whereby the computer automatically shuts you out for 48 hours if you violate a decompression ceiling for more than 3 minutes. The screen will display only an ‘ERROR’ message.

If, as a technical diver, you were in a position where you had to ascend beyond a designated stop (I can think of a few examples of those), the computer algorithm would simply abandon you. Compare that to other tech computers, which would re-calculate the ‘next best’ decompression schedule to get you safely to the surface.

Modern technical diving computers should never abandon the diver in-water.”

Wondering how the Mk2i handles that?

Thanks
J
Andy, who wrote those reviews, has not dived many of the computers he is reviewing.

Lockout is a thing used by Suunto haters to beat Suunto. It is very hard to make happen, you have to be above the ceiling for three minutes. Why would that happen, and if it does happen what are you doing next? Are you out of the water, going down to do a longer stop? Is the computer’s model applicable then?

It is a good dive computer but could have been great if Garmin knew anything about diving or at least listened to their customers. Support is lacklustre and updates are few and far between.

Thanks ATJ, appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.

Andy, who wrote those reviews, has not dived many of the computers he is reviewing.

Lockout is a thing used by Suunto haters to beat Suunto. It is very hard to make happen, you have to be above the ceiling for three minutes. Why would that happen, and if it does happen what are you doing next? Are you out of the water, going down to do a longer stop? Is the computer’s model applicable then?

KenGordon thank you for responding to my question.
Would you argue that the lockout is actually not important? What’s a good way to think about this?

I have a Suunto Zoop Novo and have been very happy with it over the years...always did what it says on the tin even if it doesn’t “look cool” (which never bothered me), but it can’t help me anymore with the tec journey I started earlier this year. No multi gas capability.

Would you argue that the lockout is actually not important? What’s a good way to think about this?
I’ve never dove with a Suunto, but have dove with other computers that would lockout. Overall, it never bothered me. It was mentioned earlier that the Suunto locks out in the water. Is that true?

If true, that sounds like a bad approach.

If it locks out after the dive, not really an issue provided the lockout is not triggered by a minor deviation.

Honestly, I can see both sides from a manufacturer’s perspective. My current computer does not lockout. For a future dive computer, this would be a consideration, but not exactly a disqualification. Of much more importance would be how the algorithm behaves on multiple dives.

Back
Top Bottom