Losing weight when you don't have time to lose it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cut out sugar wherever you can. Sodas, sweets, etc. Cut out fried foods and minimize carbs.

I’ve lost 30lbs by essentially doing jack s**t over the past few months. I work from home and unless I have somewhere to go, I stay put. It’s literally not possible that you’re more sedentary than I am.

Thanks a lot for your detailed and helpful answers. I need to look a bit into some of the things you've mentioned (Keto, figuring out the calories of what I eat...). One thing I can do easily is reducing my portions, I think. Walking more isn't something I can do, since my commute consists of taking a coach and a bus: the coach has no intermediate stops in the hour-long trip between my home and the place where I take the bus, and walking from the previous stop to my workplace would mean an extra thirty minutes (which I cannot afford to "waste", since there's no coach before the one I take).

Trying the Mediterranean diet isn't going to change anything for me. I live in Spain, you know. All I eat is part of the Mediterranean diet (I haven't moved into fast food or processed food). Only, I eat in restaurants, so I cannot really control what goes to my meals, even though I try to choose the healthies choices available. I have never drank alcohol or coffee. But, as I said, I'll start leaving some food on the plate starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'm going to get something out of them.

How far is the next closest coach ("bus" in American English) stop from your home or workplace? Consider walking to or from that stop even though there is a closer stop. As you seem to recognize, walking is the easiest exercise to fit into most people's busy lives.

I know you said you have no microwave available at lunchtime, but "cold salads" are not the only low-calorie cold lunch options. See others' suggestions.

[Looks like we posted simultaneously. Oh well, never mind my suggestion about the coach/bus.]

Thanks a lot for your detailed and helpful answers. I need to look a bit into some of the things you've mentioned (Keto, figuring out the calories of what I eat...). One thing I can do easily is reducing my portions, I think. Walking more isn't something I can do, since my commute consists of taking a coach and a bus: the coach has no intermediate stops in the hour-long trip between my home and the place where I take the bus, and walking from the previous stop to my workplace would mean an extra thirty minutes (which I cannot afford to "waste", since there's no coach before the one I take).

Trying the Mediterranean diet isn't going to change anything for me. I live in Spain, you know. All I eat is part of the Mediterranean diet (I haven't moved into fast food or processed food). Only, I eat in restaurants, so I cannot really control what goes to my meals, even though I try to choose the healthies choices available. I have never drank alcohol or coffee. But, as I said, I'll start leaving some food on the plate starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'm going to get something out of them.

Take a step back and look at EXACTLY what you’re eating. Ex. I was a carb nut. I LOVE bread. I cut back to a crazy low carb bread “substitute” that gives me the consistency and enjoyment of bread, but has a fraction of the carbs and calories.

Drink coffee? Hold the creamer, go to low-fat milk, no whip cream in mocha’s, etc.

Cheese. If you’re eating out...ask if there’s a low fat option. We routinely get shredded cheese made with 2% milk instead of whole milk.

It’s a HUGE difference if you look into the various ways you can order food and drinks. That and there are a LOT of meals in restaurants that look healthy, but are anything but healthy when you look at the nutritional content.

Take a step back and look at EXACTLY what you’re eating. Ex. I was a carb nut. I LOVE bread. I cut back to a crazy low carb bread “substitute” that gives me the consistency and enjoyment of bread, but has a fraction of the carbs and calories.

Drink coffee? Hold the creamer, go to low-fat milk, no whip cream in mocha’s, etc.

Cheese. If you’re eating out...ask if there’s a low fat option. We routinely get shredded cheese made with 2% milk instead of whole milk.

It’s a HUGE difference if you look into the various ways you can order food and drinks.

Be careful when looking at low-fat or non-fat options. Many times when the fat is removed it reduces flavor so they add sugar in to make it taste good. A lot of low-fat options are actually worse for you than the full-fat version.

When eating out, one issue will be the abundance of carbs and fat/oil, sometimes the sauces will be very rich.

Prefer grilled dishes or dishes with less sauces maybe ? And try to have more veggies rather than large portions of pasta/chips ?

When possible ask the waiter to have the sauce on the side ?

Be careful when looking at low-fat or non-fat options. Many times when the fat is removed it reduces flavor so they add sugar in to make it taste good. A lot of low-fat options are actually worse for you than the full-fat version.

Yup. We have found that, as well. There is definitely a trade-off with some “low fat” items.

In my case...most of the substitutes I’ve gone with don’t taste as good as what they are replacing. That seems to be a rule with most things though. If it tastes too good, I know I shouldn’t be eating it.

When I'm traveling, the extra activity and reduced portions (SE Asia compared to US), I lose weight.

Back home, I found that when I was going into work, I would enjoy the yummy meals at lunch and gain weight. In lockdown, I only eat when hungry, so I've been maintaining weight or losing just a little, but not gaining. For me, I think having the meals timed based on the hour, instead of when hungry, led to weight gain, with all else equal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom