Side mount with a back cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DickyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So hear me out, and it may seem like a silly question to some but I'm looking for a range of opinions and reasons why not etc.

2 side mount cylinders and then a small, say 5 litre deco cylinder on your back? I'm not side mount trained but exploring the idea of going side mount but the idea of having 3 cylinders (2 on one side including the deco) puts me off as it seems a bit cumbersome.

I quit my twinset because they were heavy and cumbersome and don't want to make the same mistake.

I was thinking a hollis sms 75 would allow 2 side cylinders and a small back cylinder?

I tried that 15 years ago with sidemount 85's and a 104 on my back, worked about as well as it sounds. Get bigger side mount cylinders, or take a stage.

I tried that 15 years ago with sidemount 85's and a 104 on my back, worked about as well as it sounds. Get bigger side mount cylinders, or take a stage.
^^^^^ This
Tried it with a SMS100

Deco bottles are trivial to handle.

Two what you would probably call 11L steels and a 5liter AL. And now the 5L sits even closer as I've been working on shortening the leashes.

Run2.jpg

The deco cylinder isn’t that cumbersome in sidemount. That being said... if i want lots of stages, i prefer a twinset with my stages sidemounted. Everything sits nice and i use the real-estate on my back and keep more freedom in the front.

i do not do a lot of sm diving and i have only played around a bit in pool with adding a third bottle. but imho it is not that tough adding a third. there is lots of info out there with suggestions on how to rig it. try a few and go with what suits you best.
i honestly think if you want to keep the number of tanks to two on your sides, but want to pursue more advanced diving, then switch to bm doubles and add your third and or fourth to your sides. i think having two bottles on your sides with one deco mix on your back kinda defeats the purpose of sm. just my 2 cents.

The deco cylinder isn’t that cumbersome in sidemount. That being said... if i want lots of stages, i prefer a twinset with my stages sidemounted. Everything sits nice and i use the real-estate on my back and keep more freedom in the front.
In my experience, this is the way to go. That being said, I've not figured out the optimal way to SM my deco cylinder (just one for right now) while wearing a BPW. Can you or anyone reading this post direct me to some reputable instructions that have (a) not-terrible photos and (b) text that's actually readable?

Reactions: OTF
So hear me out, and it may seem like a silly question to some but I'm looking for a range of opinions and reasons why not etc.

2 side mount cylinders and then a small, say 5 litre deco cylinder on your back? I'm not side mount trained but exploring the idea of going side mount but the idea of having 3 cylinders (2 on one side including the deco) puts me off as it seems a bit cumbersome.

I quit my twinset because they were heavy and cumbersome and don't want to make the same mistake.

I was thinking a hollis sms 75 would allow 2 side cylinders and a small back cylinder?
The whole point of sidemount is that you can be more streamlined, you can use one tank, no tank mount, and etc.. Setting up a back mount rig and then using a back mount for you're deco bottle is just too "extra." Most deco dives you are going to be staging bottles anyways. Most people over here just carry a 40cf or a full-size al80 with their lp85. You also gotta remember a normal fill for Lp85 is around 3600 psi or 250 bar. It might seem cumbersome to carry an extra bottle or so but let's face it. That bottle is normally going to be staged someplace.

In my experience, this is the way to go. That being said, I've not figured out the optimal way to SM my deco cylinder (just one for right now) while wearing a BPW. Can you or anyone reading this post direct me to some reputable instructions that have (a) not-terrible photos and (b) text that's actually readable?
Ill see what i can find or maybe ill take my own pictures.
But basically just put a bolt snap on the front of your tank that will attach to your waist d-ring and also put a loop of bungee from your plate that come under your armpit and is a couple inches shy of reaching your nipple. When in use you just attach the bolt snap to your waist, loop the bungee over the valve knob, then deploy regulator as needed.

The whole point of sidemount is that you can be more streamlined, you can use one tank, no tank mount, and etc.. Setting up a back mount rig and then using a back mount for you're deco bottle is just too "extra." Most deco dives you are going to be staging bottles anyway.

not if you’re boat diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom