How many wetsuits do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 mm shorty
3 mm full
5 mm semi-dry plus hood
Crushed neoprene dry suit

Considering buying a trilaminate dry suit and a new full 3 mm...

I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit and a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I wear them all every year in SE Florida, where the water temp varies from the high 60s to the mid 80s.

When travelling, I take the one full suit and the hooded vest to keep me warm in the local conditions. My last 2 liveaboards, I took the 3 mm to the Caymans and the 7 mm to the Revillagigedos.

2mm sleeveless (summer pool work and vacations where I only dive twice a day in 27c ocean)
3mm shorty (winter pool work)
3mm full Ultrawarmth (travel suit for cenotes and multi dive tropical liveaboards)
5mm full Ultrawarmth (original lake suit now backup for drysuit)
Assorted hoods, beanies, gloves and boots
Trilam Bare Drysuit

one 7mm Bare. All my local diving is the great lakes and local quarries/lakes. Hood go on for temps <54F. I rarely splash with gloves but I keep 'em in my bcd pocket and find myself putting them on once we hit <52F or if I want protection handling a gnarly wreck or something.

on the rare occasions I find myself diving in Florida / warmer waters, it's AMAZING to just dive in swim shorts & maybe a light rash guard top. A few jelly stings is a small price to pay.

2 one 3mil one 7mil i also dive dry a lot.

I have 2. 1 2mm and 1 open cell freediving suit. They are both used for "dry" caving.
For diving, I use drysuits.

one 7mm Bare. All my local diving is the great lakes and local quarries/lakes. Hood go on for temps <54F. I rarely splash with gloves but I keep 'em in my bcd pocket and find myself putting them on once we hit <52F or if I want protection handling a gnarly wreck or something.

on the rare occasions I find myself diving in Florida / warmer waters, it's AMAZING to just dive in swim shorts & maybe a light rash guard top. A few jelly stings is a small price to pay.
I used to say that and used to only wear a 2mm shorty or just swimming trunks an a t-shirt, but after getting stung a few times and after brushing up against fire corals while lobster hunting, I now wear a full suit most of the time here in South Florida.

I have a high tolerance for cold water from growing up in the Pacific Northwest, but even though I can “take it”, you can’t overcome thermodynamics. LOL! If you’re in the water less that your body temperature long enough you will get hypothermic if you can’t stop the heat loss. Just say’n..,

A dry suit, a 5 mill. wet suit, a 3 mill. wet suit.

The 3 mill. is a cheap Chinese junk, I use only overseas when diving tropical waters (very seldom).

Otherwise, I dive at home : both Med (mainly during Summer time, and the 5 mill. is just perfect for me) or the Atlantic (from April to November) then the dry suit is handy : most of the time I dive there, it's deep, on trimix, so a dry suit is just the weapon of choice for long deco in rather cold water (up to 50' in 12°C/54°F water).

Hope I've been of some help.

Four

shorty
3 mm full suit
5 mm full suit
7 mm semi-dry

I have a high tolerance for cold water from growing up in the Pacific Northwest, but even though I can “take it”, you can’t overcome thermodynamics. LOL! If you’re in the water less that your body temperature long enough you will get hypothermic if you can’t stop the heat loss. Just say’n..,

excellent point, well said. re-reading my post, I didn't intend the "I'm a tough guy" vibe, I was just relaying what I do. Agree 100% there's no evading thermodynamics! I'm still pretty young (in my 40s) and I already feel my tolerance slipping. +1 for shelving the ego and doing what's comfortable and safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom