BSAC Diving Incident Report 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Thanks! Made for some interesting reading.

No way! I subconsciously scrolled down to page ten before my hand numbed up
but my head exploded well before then.

here's an abridged guide for the symposium

Lessons For Life

Hey, well in between gleaning and perhaps having read a couple of pages, it's very long and repetitive

My dives are conducted my way, contributing to a unique catalogue of incidents both physical and psychological from which I learn, and applicable only to me, so what other people do other than being mind constricting is of no relevance.
I also actually know what I don't know, and travel along that boundary sometimes straying over it to add extra knowledge and experience.
Perhaps I imagine there are methods of learning where more is to be gained by acquiring the knowledge of what to do rather than not doing what others wished they had never done.

The provided link exposes a quick almost entertaining hit of morbidity for those special occasions, but if you explore it mainly exposes you to the positivity of diving, shiny gear to buy, special diving locations, people to meet and general fun diving stuff, if one gets tired of slathering themselves in other peoples tragedy, the recounting of which is at best a structured guess of what transpired

Also available is this fantastic encyclopedia on the BSAC site

Archive videos

How good is this, I'm entertained

No way! I subconsciously scrolled down to page ten before my hand numbed up
but my head exploded well before then.

here's an abridged guide for the symposium

Lessons For Life
Are these real? The page you linked says "based on real life events" and the author "takes creative license on occasion for the story". The couple I read sounded very fake to me. Also, why is a diver who runs out of air at 18m and does a controlled swimming ascent said to "forget his basic training"? That's what I was trained to do in those circumstances.

Scuba Diving, Gear Reviews, and Pro Tips | Scuba Diving

“We're often asked if the Lessons for Life columns are based on real-life events. The answer is yes, they are. The names and locations have been removed or altered to protect identities, but these stories are meant to teach you who to handle a scuba diving emergency by learning from the mistakes other divers have made. Author Eric Douglas takes creative license on occasion for the story, but the events and, often, the communication between divers before the accident are entirely based on incident reports.“

Eric Douglas

full.jpg

For years, author Eric Douglas has written our Lessons for Life columns about real-life scuba diving accidents and how you can prevent making the mistakes of those divers. Douglas is also the co-author of the book Scuba Diving Safety and has written a series of adventure novels, children’s books and short stories — all with an ocean and scuba diving theme. Check out his website at booksbyeric.com.

Forgetting - Wikipedia.

Definition of mistake | Dictionary.com

PANIC | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Do you live in an English speaking country mate

“Experience is a dear teacher and fools learn by no other” - Benjamin Franklin.
Accident analysis is a tool used in multiple disciplines to identify why people make mistakes. We cannot pretend to do all the mistakes ourselves even because some of them would kill us as they did kill some of the good people that are in the the report.
We are human and we make mistakes. Minor ones may constitute the first link of a chain of events to a major accident. Learning from others’ ones would save money, effort, time and sorrow.
Just saying.

Cheers
(edited for spelling and to attribute quotation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom