Thread banning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was the first time I saw posts deleted in a thread without the usual warnings. Don’t really care. All part of cleaning up.

If someone gets banned from a thread, is there any kind of notification in that thread?

More often than not, there's been a mod post earlier in the thread advising members to "behave" or some such.

I'm not aware of this particular instance.

The mods have several tools in their toolbox to keep the board reasonably civil:
  • Silently removing one or two posts which violate the ToS, preferably with a notification to the poster
  • Pre-emptively stepping into a thread which is on the verge of derailing with a modpost telling the kids to play nice, or else
  • Major clean-up of a derailed thread, removing a bunch of posts. Usually followed by a modpost telling the kids to play nice, or else
  • Thread ban of a poster who repeatedly violates the ToS in that particular thread. Usually with a notification to the thread banned member
  • Forum ban of a poster who repeatedly violates the Special Rules of a certain forum, e.g. Basic or Women's Perspectives
  • Counselling of troublesome members, trying to get them to understand how we do things here on Scubaboard. Sometimes it actually works
  • Board-wide ban of particularly troublesome members
A lot of the moderation is of the first type. Invisible for those who aren't moderated and those who drop by the thread occasionally. It's quite effective for keeping a thread on the rails with the minimum amount of fuss.

Bans can be temporary, or they can be permanent. Thread bans are generally permanent. Temporary bans can be of different duration. Forum bans or board-wide bans are temporary at first, and then the duration of the ban increases with repeat offenses. A permanent board ban is a tool which is only used after all the other tools in the toolbox have been tried.

The general principle for all moderation is:
TC:
Be nice. Or be gone

By far and away, the majority of our members are friendly, polite and show a sense of humour that is appealing for all of the reading members. This includes the more frequent posters as well. It's a delight getting to know some of you. We treasure you all, whether you be frequent posters or popping in once in a while.

Unfortunately, there are a handful of posting members who are a "handful" and keep the mods on alert and busy. For some reason, these "awkward" times seem to come in waves.

It's immensely helpful to the mods, if you report any posts against the terms of service for the board and/or the subforum. Same goes for rudeness, name calling and off topic posts.

We want everyone to enjoy their time here, in a pleasant way, passing time, sharing adventures and information with our good friends.

TC:
5 words vs hundreds. Storker said it much better than I did!!!

I don't think any of us can say it better than you did TC! (No matter how verbose we are)

Ok everybody, repeat after me:

Be nice or be gone.
Be nice or be gone.
Be nice or be gone.

Nice little ditty, don't you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom