Thread banning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone gets banned from a thread, is there any kind of notification in that thread?
For them, yes. However, we try to keep interactions between us and them private so we don't embarrass them in public. Some people will still advertise they've been moderated and while we won't publicly defend our actions, you can be assured that there are two sides to every complaint.

Your privileges can be suspended from the whole forum, a sub-forum or a single thread. It depends on how egregious or focused the offenses are. There are a few things that will get your privileges pulled in a hurry: bigotry, threats and/or glorification of violence are high on the list.
just give an opinion against pet vendors that are favorites to SB owners.
Some can't admit they've crossed a line. It's hard for them to see fault in themselves, so they shift the blame to the 'system', moderators or even me rather than accepting any personal responsibility. We call them POV warriors or cyber-stalkers, and they often hijack threads to tell us how horrible this dive op or that manufacturer is to the point of even driving them away. It's not fair to their victim or the rest of us. Sometimes they just can't help but tell us how bad ScubaBoard is, yet here they are! It almost always takes multiple occurrences and warnings for us to remove privileges, so you can be sure it's not capricious. We hardly ever vet for facts but rather try to keep this a friendly place where interaction is based on mutual respect. While we really appreciate and encourage spirited debates or discussions, this is certainly not the place to pursue vendettas ad nausea in order to hurt someone's business. There's rec.scuba for that.

Some can't admit they've crossed a line. It's hard for them to see fault in themselves, so they shift the blame to the 'system', moderators or even me rather than accepting any personal responsibility.
I'm going to quote myself, from an earlier Site Support thread:
I'd hazard a guess that you'd be hard pressed to find just one prodigious poster who hasn't had at least one of their posts deleted by a mod. Heck, I'd be hard pressed to name just one admin or mod who hasn't had at least one of their posts deleted by a mod.

Post enough, and you (general "you") are more or less guaranteed to violate the ToS in some way. I for one am quite comfortable with the fact that if I step over the line - which I know I've done occasionally - there's someone who reins in the discussion and keeps it on track. And I have enough of a life outside the board that I don't get particularly butt-hurt if one of my posts is deleted.

Well, I should have read Page 2 before answering! Yes, "Be nice or be gone" is an excellent synopsis of our moderation. Some try to get around it with what they think are subtle jibes or innuendos. More often than not, and by that I mean almost always: you're not being nearly as subtle as you think. Excellent responses from our moderators!

I'm going to quote myself, from an earlier Site Support thread:
Storker:
I'd hazard a guess that you'd be hard pressed to find just one prodigious poster who hasn't had at least one of their posts deleted by a mod.
I have probably had more posts deleted than anyone on here. I don't get mad. I don't reverse them. Rather, I learn from what and why they got deleted. I've even recused myself voluntarily from threads when staff has asked. All of us can be nicer and we don't even have to sing Kum By Yah. Remember you will get more respect when you give it to others.

ExemplarySecretGelding-size_restricted.gif

I’m being careful here. I don’t want my “foot” to step into anything stinky.
A bit of a side step, but I often wondered what your name stood for.

5 simple words.

Be nice, or be gone.

A simple philosophy.

Show respect. Or go away.

Toughest standard we have to enforce on scubaboard. Lots of variation. Lots of scales. Lots of interpretation. One simple quest. BE NICE.

Our very simple goal- provide a CIVIL discussion forum for the SCUBA world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom