Seeking advice regarding Zeagle Zena BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverMoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a petite diver, female, 5'4, 116 pds. I've had a horrible time finding a BC that will work for me so my local dive shop said to try the Zena. I rented one and tried it in a pool with a 13' depth.

Here's my experience with it. FYI this was my first dive after receiving my OWC 1.5 years ago. I am a bit anxious but I studied all my techniques prior to this test dive. Also, this was my 1st time with a wing style BC.

Suit: full, 3/2 neoprene

Weights: 6 on front pockets, 4 on back. I couldn't descend.
Added another 4 on front, dropped like a rock!

At the bottom(literally on the bottom), trying to find trim. Added a "puff" to my wing, nothing, another "puff", nothing. Another, starting to bounce on bottom a bit as in inhale, exhale. One more "puff", and I got to horizontal, reasonably controlled. If I stopped kicking, I'm in an somewhat uncontrollable ascent. I tugged hard on the dumps at rear (which are hard to find IMHO) in a horizontal position and kept going up.

I did this four times and now I'm just anxious about this BC. I also had some issues with the tank rolling me a bit as well. Edit: I also had a problem with my head hitting the 1st stage when I was true horizontal.

I'm used to vest style BCs but they were all too big. I was bouncing around in them like a pinball.

I feel that I need a BC with a shoulder dump valve and that my weights weren't right.
I've read that for the Zena dump valves to work, you need to be horizontal with your but up a bit. It didn't work for me. Plus the idea of my dumps only working in one position if/when I'm having an emergency sounds like a bad idea.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you have. Thanks!

I am a petite diver, female, 5'4, 116 pds. I've had a horrible time finding a BC that will work for me so my local dive shop said to try the Zena. I rented one and tried it in a pool with a 13' depth.

Here's my experience with it. FYI this was my first dive after receiving my OWC 1.5 years ago. I am a bit anxious but I studied all my techniques prior to this test dive. Also, this was my 1st time with a wing style BC.

Suit: full, 3/2 neoprene

Weights: 6 on front pockets, 4 on back. I couldn't descend.
Added another 4 on front, dropped like a rock!

At the bottom(literally on the bottom), trying to find trim. Added a "puff" to my wing, nothing, another "puff", nothing. Another, starting to bounce on bottom a bit as in inhale, exhale. One more "puff", and I got to horizontal, reasonably controlled. If I stopped kicking, I'm in an somewhat uncontrollable ascent. I tugged hard on the dumps at rear (which are hard to find IMHO) in a horizontal position and kept going up.

I did this four times and now I'm just anxious about this BC. I also had some issues with the tank rolling me a bit as well. Edit: I also had a problem with my head hitting the 1st stage when I was true horizontal.

I'm used to vest style BCs but they were all too big. I was bouncing around in them like a pinball.

I feel that I need a BC with a shoulder dump valve and that my weights weren't right.
I've read that for the Zena dump valves to work, you need to be horizontal with your but up a bit. It didn't work for me. Plus the idea of my dumps only working in one position if/when I'm having an emergency sounds like a bad idea.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you have. Thanks!
At your size I need to say you wore too much lead. Do a proper weigh check, if you do not know how ask an instructor at the facility how to. Someone your size probably will find using 4 to 6 lbs plenty enough in a pool or fresh water, add about 4 lbs in ocean .should not sink like a rock at any time. With a breath in lungs should only sink when doing a full exhalation. Use power inflator to release air from bcd, as to 1st stage hitting head do you have a swivel on it? If so is it positioned down or up. If up that’s why hits head. Tank will roll you a bit on surface when you wear too much lead due to air bubble shifting in bcd. You may find a refresher session with an instructor valuable. I have found every woman that purchased a xena here loves the fit and operation of it.

My ocean dives were weighted at 10pds and trim was pretty easy to get so you are probably right on weights.
An experienced diver at the pool told me to not use my deflator underwater as it would allow water to get into the bladder. It seemed odd but he knew more then I so I didn't use it. I will now.
I don't have a swivel on my 1st stage this time but I did when I trained for OW. Without more context, I couldn't say whether it was "up or down". I positioned it according to how I know to set up equipment. :(
Yea, I've thought about a refresher course. Problem is there are no places to dive where I live that aren't very chilly. I guess it will be an excuse to travel. :) Thank you.

My ocean dives were weighted at 10pds and trim was pretty easy to get so you are probably right on weights.
An experienced diver at the pool told me to not use my deflator underwater as it would allow water to get into the bladder. It seemed odd but he knew more then I so I didn't use it. I will now.
I don't have a swivel on my 1st stage this time but I did when I trained for OW. Without more context, I couldn't say whether it was "up or down". I positioned it according to how I know to set up equipment. :(
Yea, I've thought about a refresher course. Problem is there are no places to dive where I live that aren't very chilly. I guess it will be an excuse to travel. :) Thank you.
water in bcd is a non issue , will not make any buoyancy issues. If worried about water in bcd, look at it this way, when wearing proper amount of lead you should just barely float when you are breathing, so hold inflator up, let air out then exhale completely to descend no water in bcd. Why would someone tell you to use a difficult to reach or find rear dump valve. Bad advise, I hope it was not from a pro.Rear dump useful after a dive to dump out the small amount of water in it when packing gear at end of dive, or simply turn bcd upside down so inflator at lowest point and press dump valve button.
Try refresher at LDS you certified at. They may have a pool they use on a regular basis. Facility I work out of has its own indoor heated pool so scheduling is a non issue. Our students can have free access to pool once they are certified to practice at no charge. If they request an instructor for a refresher then we have a fee charged. Refreshers usually take about 2 hours here and include a short academic review and pool session. Your LDS may offer same arrangement.

I've had my Zeagle Zena since 2002 and it has over 1000 dives on it (yes, it is probably time for a new one). I'm 5'1" about 140 lbs and need 12-14 lbs weight wearing a 3 ml wetsuit/lavacore vest in salt water, so you probably need several pounds less in the pool.
The first 10 ft going down is the hardest, if my gear is dry, I have to swim down headfirst and try to pump some water through the suit, then switch to the normal head up position to continue descending. In the pool with dry gear, you'll probably have to swim down if you're not overweighted.
I adjust the BC so that the top edge of the jacket comes up to the tank valve when setting up my gear, that works for me with no head hitting the valve. Before donning the BC, I loosen up the side straps completely. After putting the BC on and zipping it up, I tighten the side and shoulder straps, so the fit is snug. Once in the water, I tighten the straps again.
I never use the bottom dump valve, I always use the deflator, and when venting the air in the BC, I try to make the left front shoulder the most shallow so the air in the BC won't get trapped.
Practice makes perfect, go somewhere easy and warm like Bonaire or Cozumel, maybe on a trip with your LDS. Let the divemaster/shop you dive with know that you are inexperienced and they will help you.

I have this BCD, I'm 5'3" and fluctuate between 125-130. This was my first back inflate BCD. The first dive trip I went on with it, the air kept going to one side of the BCD. I had to make sure I inflated in an upright position, as suggested above, so the air didn't get trapped. It took about ten dives for me to get used to the Zena. It's a fine BCD and is the only one that I've tried that fits me perfectly. I will someday move over to a black plate and wing. The zippered vest annoys me when suiting up because it takes longer to put on than buckling clips.

I've had my Zeagle Zena since 2002 and it has over 1000 dives on it (yes, it is probably time for a new one).

Hi divedog49.
I just got the Zena and was wondering if you had some advice? I really want to love this BCD, I just finished my first dive with it. My main issue is the placement of D rings. They seem to be too low and all my gear dangles. Whereas, my old BCD had D rings up near the shoulder. Do you know of any recommendations for accesories that may help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom