My Hew Porter plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@D_Fresh, the final dimensions after bending are 13.5 x 8.5, so probably 9.25ish before bending.
Keep in mind that the "W" bend spacing and tank strap slot spacing should be maintained to the drawing so your really only shortening the outer "wings", but this has worked out great for my wife, she has no complaints about how the plate feels.

Yeah, our dimensions sound about the same. I'm not going with the W design, but yes, I well-understand keeping the interior dims consistent, as well as STA holes and cam band slots. I'm about 99% percent ready to send the file to my metalworks.

Resurrecting... My thanks also Huw. Dived my new stainless plate today, really nice to get rid of the STA! Need to get the buffer wheel onto it though!

20221015_174500.jpg
20221015_173002.jpg

20221015_112648.jpg

Nice work! Yeah, finishing all the edges is time consuming.

It looks like it's come out a bit flatter than mine - how was the comfort?
I couldn't get the two 90 deg bends to 90 (press ran out of power), but comfort is wonderful. The press has a 12 tonne jack and at a point it just starts bypassing - 3mm stainless is tough!

I couldn't get the two 90 deg bends to 90 (press ran out of power), but comfort is wonderful. The press has a 12 tonne jack and at a point it just starts bypassing - 3mm stainless is tough!
I also moved that fold line to the centre of the cam band slots to make it easier to fold which may have made the plate slightly flatter.
Had a thought about a previous comment your made regarding the number of views vs number of plates made... I had looked at the page many many times before I made a plate. Now I'll probably make one for each of my kids...
Seeing how much force it takes to bend gives me even more respect for Eric's Freedom Plate hand fabrication!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom