Bailout gas expiration date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you ever dump and refill your bailout tanks?
"Dump" never.

Eventually I feel guilty that they are 2 or 3 years past hydro and I boost the gas out into my bank or into other cylinders

helium can bleed out, and oxygen can interact with the metal and oxidize so O2 content will go down.
Helium only really leaks out of the lola manifold hose. I have 6yo BOs of 9/71 that are still 9/71.

If the O2 is dropping there was major water injected at the time of the fill.

The power of the booster. Boost into one of the million other tanks I have. I will dump part of a fill of say I have 3500psi or 30/30 and want the same psi of 21/35 or vice versa. Sometimes it’s easier to dump a few 100 psi

No. I'd never dump my bailouts. It would be a waste of money and time. I've had trimix bailouts that have been full for 3-4 years.

They've all past visual and some of them are out of hydro at this point. I don't have any problem dumping nitrox bailouts since that that gas is relatively cheap but I've got 18/45, 15/55, 10/70 bailouts where the gas probably is worth more than the cylinder at this point. I will still periodically analyze them if they haven't been used in a while, check pressure and occasionally top them off a couple hundred psi.

If they start getting well past hydro then I'll just boost them into another bottle or use them for diluent.

Find a student who is taking the class that needs bailouts. Let them bail, hydro, charge them an at-cost refill. You are back to an in-hydro tank and a fresh fill. Someone else bought the gas. the student got a deal on the gas and borrowed bailouts. Everyone wins.

Does anyone do bailout ascent practice then, or just simulate shallower with cheaper gas?

Back
Top Bottom