Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the male model’s defense, he is using an AIR2 so he’s marking his primary donate with a yellow hose for his partner.
?? I don't see an AIR2.

It really does not. I am just watching.

I don't want to turn this into a thing, so I'm going to do my level best to say this and be done with it: Please realize that the very action of making that post;
  • alienates non-white males
  • perpetuates and reinforces the whole "white male supremacy" idea, if only subconsciously
After reading your post I had to go back and look - I honestly hadn't registered the race/gender - I just saw two people. That is what I wish for you, and everyone.

-signed, a middle aged white male

I don't know what you call "a thing", but here is "the thing" that I see:

1. The folks at SB are irritated by the unprofessional gear set up in the picture shown.
2. I am pointing out to the fact that the makers of this commercial followed a different set of rules, which is more important to them than the proper gear set up rules.
3. Unfortunately, you took this very personally. Sorry, but this is the new reality, so better get used to it.

?? I don't see an AIR2.
Nor do I. However, addressing the OP about him not having a 2nd stage primary, if you look closely, you can see a black hose cross in front of the yellow hose. If you click on the image and bring it up larger you can see it clearly. It is difficult to see what is attached to that hose since the female's hand is in front of the end of the hoses, but I would assume it is a 2nd stage primary instead of a console since it is routed on his right side.

But I agree with a lot of the sentiments posted...I've seen the commercial and this particular portion is very short, as in, about 1 second. They are obviously actors that are "costumed" for the shot with little regard to reality. Most people wouldn't know there is anything wrong. There's lots more in this world to be worried about.

Neither the guy nor the girl has an air pressure gauge, depth gauge, timing device, or compass.
She does have some type of console hanging down on her right side (yeah I know).

20201117_072232.jpg

As a follow up to the 'white male' observation (that i personally find irrelevant), i am now expecting some comments about the fact that those two are clearly not distancing and not wearing masks....
Joking apart, what's really wrong in the selection of subjects is that they are two slim young millennials with enough money to buy a car and dive (probably representative of 0.5% of all divers). The regular diving crowd is quite skewed toward old, overweight and at-high-risk-for-Covid, I am afraid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom