Cave Diving Backup Lights / Rechargeable Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they basically just put a usb charger port on the protection board. You can get them from a slew of other manufacturers as well. Not something I'm a huge fan of though.
Example
Protected Vapcell P1835A 18650 10A Button Top 3500mah USB Battery - Genuine

I'm a big fan of USB powered stuff for the reasons that Go Sidemount talks about with travel, but I'd rather take a charger, especially since I'm almost always charging multiple batteries.

For freshwater cave diving I don't think it would bother me as much but really don't like the idea for saltwater dives. Unless I'm missing something though, you can just charge the batteries in chargers (my preferred method to as well) like normal, since it takes a 18650 battery.

For freshwater cave diving I don't think it would bother me as much but really don't like the idea for saltwater dives. Unless I'm missing something though, you can just charge the batteries in chargers (my preferred method to as well) like normal, since it takes a 18650 battery.

you can charge the usb-charge 18650's with a normal charger, but they're longer than normal 18650's and you never really know how good the charging circuits are on the top of the cell which is why I much prefer a normal charger and for travel, one that runs off of USB power

you can charge the usb-charge 18650's with a normal charger, but they're longer than normal 18650's and you never really know how good the charging circuits are on the top of the cell which is why I much prefer a normal charger and for travel, one that runs off of USB power

As always appreciate your input and insights.

https://www.amazon.com/Kraken-Sport...dP7z&pd_rd_i=B015EQGQUW&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_10_i

This is what I am currently using as a backup light. I have three of them and I love them. They run on both 18650s or 3 AAA batteries with different light outputs and burn times depending on the voltage. I have never had one leak and they are bright enough that during my full cave class. my buddy didn't even know that I had deployed a backup light when he got around the corner from me while I was retrieving a jump. Since I carry 3 of these I use two 18650s and one with AAAs but I always bring the adapters for the AAAs on every dive trip just in case.

I skip the protected 18650s, also skip the USB chargeable ones. Its just one more electronic circuit is poop out. Using a good quality charger with included protection circuits, including over temp, over time, and over V is my strategy. I like the nitecore ones.
https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-Chargers-s/1869.htm

Maybe you are interested in this compact backup light for safety diving: XTAR D20B 1000 lumens Mini Dive Light | Shenzhen XTAR Electronics Co., Ltd
This D20B 1000 dive light has maximum 1000 lumens, 4 hours runtime with one 18650 battery.
Besides, more chargers for reference: ShenZhen XTAR Electronics Co., Ltd

4 hour runtime at 1000 lumens from one 18650 battery? I'm calling BS on one of those numbers. Either it's no where even remotely close to 1000 lumens or it doesn't have anything close to a 4 hr runtime. Also, there's nothing on your website about beam angle

This is what I am currently using as a backup light. I have three of them and I love them. They run on both 18650s or 3 AAA batteries with different light outputs and burn times depending on the voltage. I have never had one leak and they are bright enough that during my full cave class. my buddy didn't even know that I had deployed a backup light when he got around the corner from me while I was retrieving a jump. Since I carry 3 of these I use two 18650s and one with AAAs but I always bring the adapters for the AAAs on every dive trip just in case.

Looks identical this light

I winder if it's the same and if it's actually OEM or generic rebranded? I'll assume the latter.

Fast Forward: I have been using rechargeable batteries in my backup lights now for about a year. I have been happy with them overall. All of the batteries are lithium of some type or other. I have a variety of chargers for these batteries.

I burn tested one a few days ago after making sure it was fully charged and got poor results, dim and short burn time. I charged it again and burn tested and got good results, bright and long burn time.

My questions are:
-> Should these batteries be cycled periodically and if so how often.
->Are all lithium battery chargers created equal? If not then how do you decide which ones to stop using?
->If you are not going to use them for a few weeks at what state of charge should they be stowed?

Store lithiums at around 50%. Some chargers have a storage mode which is super useful. Otherwise, around 3.7V. I killed a number of lithiums in the past by storing them at full charge.

Fast charging isn't good for them. I usually charge 4 once, so the amps top out at 0.5 or 1.0, which is reasonable.

About yearly, I run mine through my charger's capacity test. There's no "refresh" for lithiums, though (like the Ni-MHs of old). I wonder if your first burn test just had poor contact for some reason.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom