Ikelite smart charger for DS-161

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi. What I'd like to do is find a USB charger that I can use to charge the Ikelite strobes. I have a couple of smartchargers, but a USB one would be very handy for a project I'm working on.

Hi. What I'd like to do is find a USB charger that I can use to charge the Ikelite strobes. I have a couple of smartchargers, but a USB one would be very handy for a project I'm working on.
The standard for USB is 5.0 V @ 500 ma
A 'standard' USB adapter will give you 1000 ma @ 5.0 V. The standard NiHd Ikelite battery pack is 7.2V, so 5V won't help you much. There are special adapters for Mac's that will deliver a higher voltage (12V), but that is too much for your battery pack, so you're going to need something specialized to get the proper voltage level.

At that point, you're replacing an existing charger that plugs into the wall with a specialized charger that plugs into the wall. I don't see any possible advantage. . .

Back
Top Bottom