New bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Purchasing an xdeep stealth 2. But tossing around the idea of tec or rec. anyone know pros or cons? Would you buy the redundant bladder?

Purchasing an xdeep stealth 2. But tossing around the idea of tec or rec. anyone know pros or cons? Would you buy the redundant bladder?
I’d get the Rec if you’re sub 5’8, otherwise the Tec. Tec bladder is a bit longer top to bottom. I disagree w the “need” of a redundant bladder. If using steel cylinders, you have a drysuit for redundant buoyancy. If in a wetsuit, you should largely be in Al cylinders and able to swim the rig up.

It depends on your lift requirements. This will tell you which bladder to get. Don’t bother with the redundant bladder.

At 5' 9", the Tec is a bit of a reach, though I've learned it. But I'm in a 10mm, so my flexibility is reduced, and, because of the 10mm, I got the redundant bladder, so likely the BC bulk is increased.

But the Tec has more generous lift.

Thankx all. I am 5, 10” and 290lbs and in a drysuit. I have been diving with a diverite nomad LS but am going to Mexico for some cave training and they prefer razor or xdeep. But looking for input. Thankx again.

Thankx all. I am 5, 10” and 290lbs and in a drysuit. I have been diving with a diverite nomad LS but am going to Mexico for some cave training and they prefer razor or xdeep. But looking for input. Thankx again.
What is your instructor going to dive? For both systems, you want someone that is very familiar with it so that your training and experience is optimized.

The instructed is diving the xdeep but I do not know tec or tec. They say, do not buy the redundant bladder. So I guess I just want to know which one might be better because of my size. Look at my avatar. Thankx

With your size, I'd bet on the Tec. I'm 5' 9" and about 130 and the Tec is a little annoyingly bulky, and I might rather the rec except for the lift, but for you, the Tec is likely what the rec would be on me.

Trying each as rentals down there or in your more norther drysuit would be best as besides lift it is a fit thing. But going into a cave class with a new BC would not be the best plan.

I’d say the Tec as well. How much weight do you currently need? Do you plan to do technical diving?

Yes I agree on the getting used to it a little so I am going for about a month to do some diving before the intro to cave. In fresh water with sidemount al80s and my drysuit I need about 22lbs and with steel lp85s I need 12 lbs. I have been diving sidemount for a couple years but the xdeep would be a little learning curve. Thankx all. Just really wanted to know wether or not I would like the smaller lift and the extra clutter with the two clips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom