First regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep 6 signature are phenomenal regs. I dove with them in my drysuit class and they were great.. though I'm not a regulator connoisseur you can't go wrong with deep 6 signature.

Environmentally sealed balanced diaphragm with a pivotting turret? It was very easy to route hoses on it. I don't have to worry about all the silty crap in the lake I dive in working it's way into it...

Others claim they perform as well or better than some of the much more expensive regulators out there.

The only negative thing is that a lot of the old time divers around my area haven't heard of them so gave me a funny look at first. If it weren't covid times I would have let them try out the octo (they are both signature second stages)

But anyway... If you had budgeted more than what a normal reg set costs from deep 6, put the rest in your pocket (or into some of their other gear...)

Their website is a little confusing if you don't know exactly what kind of hose lengths you might want - (if you are a new diver) I were them I'd put up a link to somehow populate it with a decent "standard" setup with a black and orange second stage with "standard" hose lengths preconfigured so a new diver can just click a button (or send a link to their significant other)... But they have great customer service so if you just called them or emailed them they'd help you put something together

Is this an Apeks clone? Where are they made?
Thanks

You travel internationally you say? Buy a XTX50 / 40 setup when abroad and call it a day.

If you're diving it so hard that servicing is becoming an issue, then I wouldn't classify you as a vacationing diver. And in that case pick up a second XTX50 for an extra first and second stage if you need to swap out stages in a pinch.

Is this an Apeks clone? Where are they made?
Thanks

I'm not an expert, I think the first stage is very similar to some apeks models. They are designed by deep6 and made in the same factories as several other brands (as far as I know - if you search on scubaboard you can find more info on them)

Their website is deep6gear.com

For service, they include the service kit and the service manual is available online. In theory any dive shop could work on them. In practice some dive shops might only want to work on certain brands. They can be serviced in their Georgia location if you ship them in. They recommend a two year / 200 dive service interval.

When I bought my gear a little over 3 years ago, I went with a less expensive option, and have not regretted it yet, anyway. I did the Diver's Supply Sea Elite package with the Covert regulator upgrade. (Those are sealed diaphragm regulators.) They are very similar to the Hog\Edge regulators, I believe. With regard to service, I've done it once and shipped it back to Diver's Supply for that, with no trouble. (And probably anyone that can service Hog\Edge can service them.) I've had them in water in the low 40sF a lot without issues. If you are diving cold water, especially if the outside air is cold too, the only real solution is a second 1st stage (pony, H-valve, doubles). I did have to replace the inflator valve in the BC recently, but it was overdue for that, anyway.

For universal service, though, everyone seems to know Scubapro and Aqualung. It is frankly really irritating that there is a grand mystery behind getting manuals, diagrams, and parts for regulators. I don't really plan on servicing things myself, but honestly it would be nice to at least have parts lists and a schematic without having to scrounge around online.

Well I'm more confused than when I started. This is where I'm at now. In no particular order.

Apex 50/40 full set W SPG runs about $1008, I don't think I need to go into quality or reputation.

ScubaPro MK17/G260 is the most expensive at about $1068 but probably the best world wide dealer network (I'm abroad 6 months a year)

Sherwood Blizzard $678. Known for being a reliable workhorse, made in the USA and available at my LDS. But no adjustment other than venturi. And I'm not sure as good of international service network as something like ScubaPro.

HOG $573 Looks to be decent quality. I think comes standard with flexi hoses. I can see/buy in person not too far away and I like the idea of the self service class (though with one set it would probably never make financial sense for the class and the tools). I would have to swallow some pride to buy from one of these companies that skips the R&D, produces in the cheapest country and really kinda leaches off the industry as a whole to buy these.

Deep6, I can see no reason to get Deep6 when HOG is supported by a semi close to me shop where I can see what I am getting. And Deep6 doesn't really support dive shops, employ Western workers, etc. I just don't want to support this type of company. Maybe I'm wrong, never heard of them before mentioned on here so I don't know a lot about them. But at least with HOG I can still support a semi local LDS and I think HOG is cheaper also.

HOG $573 Looks to be decent quality. I think comes standard with flexi hoses. I can see/buy in person not too far away and I like the idea of the self service class (though with one set it would probably never make financial sense for the class and the tools). I would have to swallow some pride to buy from one of these companies that skips the R&D, produces in the cheapest country and really kinda leaches off the industry as a whole to buy these.
You can have a D3 1st + (2) Zenith 2nds with long and short hose for about $400 - Knock about $75-80 or so off for D1x + Classic combos from:
Piranha (Hog Zenith Din Combo Package + HOG Zenith 2nd Stage ****Smoke Front Model*** + Piranha Dive Shop | + 40 {confirm that the D3 DIN combo has the included hose - not indicated but the D3 yoke and D1x combos do}) General Sale Page: SPECIALS
Diver's Supply (https://www.divers-supply.com/scuba-gear/regulators/hog.html).
DRIS (Dive Regulators and Dive Octos - Great Selection of Scuba Regulators and Octos)

Unless your LDS is also including a 3-gauge set, then $573 seems steep. All for supporting LDSs, so personally, I would talk to them and see if they will cut you a deal given HOG's obvious factory promotions ...

You can have a D3 1st + (2) Zenith 2nds with long and short hose for about $400 - Knock about $75-80 or so off for D1x + Classic combos from:
Piranha (Hog Zenith Din Combo Package + HOG Zenith 2nd Stage ****Smoke Front Model*** + Piranha Dive Shop | + 40 {confirm that the D3 DIN combo has the included hose - not indicated but the D3 yoke and D1x combos do}) General Sale Page: SPECIALS
Diver's Supply (https://www.divers-supply.com/scuba-gear/regulators/hog.html).
DRIS (Dive Regulators and Dive Octos - Great Selection of Scuba Regulators and Octos)

Unless your LDS is also including a 3-gauge set, then $573 seems steep. All for supporting LDSs, so personally, I would talk to them and see if they will cut you a deal given HOG's obvious factory promotions ...

Thanks, Your probably right, I was including SPG, BC hose, basically everything I would need on all the prices listed. Guess I shoulda been more clear. But Paranha prices are still better, THANKS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom