Instabuddy vs. Dive Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingdesigner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All - I'm a relatively new diver, but it seemed appropriate to post in this sub forum...

I'm a safety and systems oriented person. I'm a PADI MSD (which, I think, doesn't mean much except that I've had a couple of key classes) and I intend to progress into Tech in the fullness of time, at a nice and steady pace so I don't get ahead of myself.

I like to travel and want to dive as much as I can wherever I go, but what I'm realizing as I do so is that every community I visit seems to have their own standards of safety, some pretty lax, whereas I'm more into the Human Factors in Diving perspective. I like a well thought out dive plan, even if it is a simple rec dive, with a brief and de-brief after. Since I'm usually traveling alone, I'm at the whim of the dive operator with regards to a buddy. So, my question is this: how do folks tend to handle this situation? And are there ways to find like minded divers thru social media (e.g., safety oriented groups on FB)?

Thanks!

I usually never get to be the first to respond! Here is my experience as I have had quite a few dives with "instabuddies". I have not had any "bad" experiences but some I didn't care for. When I lived in Hawaii there were a few sites to assist with meeting up with like minded dives and you build a pretty circle of dive friends. As far as how I handle the situation, I'm limited if it is the dive operator to decide my dive buddy. But after the first dive if there are any concerns or issues, I really do bring it up with my dive buddy. I also find on boats I chat with the person that will be my buddy. Get a feeling for experience and when was the last dive or how often. At that time I also go over each others gear to ensure we each know how our gear works. The worst for me is the diver who sucks down the air but as a buddy I'm with them til we surface and for me it is just what I have to do if I want to dive.

This site probably the best if you travel a lot. And tons of great advice for dive shops and sites.

Have fun!

I've had one bad experience with an insta-buddy. He liked to look at everything and stayed behind constantly which always drew the attention of the DM/guide. Finally on the 2nd dive I just ditched him and stayed with another group. Yeah something bad could have happened to him but I got tired of his bs.

One way is to work toward being a self-reliant diver. Then the buddy is an added bonus to safety or a responsibility of yours but not a safety bonus for you, depending on their quality. Self-reliant in your prep, mindset, training and equipment.

Self-reliant on air generally means a pony or one of the versions of twin cylinders, back or sidemount doubles. Redundant air for travel can be a pain, but easily doable for the AL19 pony version. The sidemount version is even easier on your travel luggage but depends on tank support by the operator, though that can just be two AL80s. You can also sidemount an AL 80 on one side and an AL19 on the other, if two AL80s is too much for you (and it is a bit much for every dive) or more than the operator wants you walking around on deck with.

Your buddy may or may not be as involved in your pre and post dive briefs, but either way, you have all the tools you need to be safe. Hopefully you will agree on the basic dive plan. Solo is the no buddy from the start version of self-reliant.

I have found some good buddies through the local subforums on SB.
I have always been alone on a boat and took whoever as an instabuddy. Have been fairly lucky with most of them. I do the usual pre-dive talk, re dive plan, etc., and make sure we each know how to release each other's weights. I don't get too thorough, such as physically reviewing OOA mechanics (perhaps I should).
Best advice is to take the Rescue course and feel that you can assist the buddy and yourself if needed. If your instabuddy really sucks it is probably less risky to dive solo-- that is an argument solo divers use against buddy diving. At times I have used my pony bottle when feeling my assigned buddy may not be up to par. There are no sure fire answers I guess.

Communicate with your buddy. If you are the more experienced and safety conscious diver, be the dive leader. Sit down with the instabuddy and talk through the dive plan/contingencies and a TECH check (or whatever briefing/gear check acronyms you're trained in). Then communicate frequently underwater throughout the dive: lots of "OK" checks, share and ask tank pressure readings, NDLs, point where to go, etc.

But also be self-sufficient and prepared for bad buddies to ignore all of this and do stupid stuff underwater. Sometimes they'll burn through air really fast without checking or communicating. Sometimes they wander off and and enjoy their own solo dive without telling you, while you spend your dive searching for them and hoping they didn't die. Be ready for that.

Aside from volunteer diving, most of my diving is international while cruising. Since my wife/dive buddy stopped diving, almost all of my buddies have been instabuddies, and have been pleasantly surprised that most of them have been fine, and fun to dive with. I usually only get to meet the divers at the dive shop or on the boat, and my choices of buddies are usually pretty limited because groups and families already have their buddies sorted out. I normally don't care who I dive with, experienced or not, so I just take whoever the DM puts with me. However, if possible, I do try to avoid the guy that is bragging about his qualifications (as if I am supposed to be impressed that he has an AOW cert), where he has been, how much his new computer costs, but does not know how to program it, and/or is carrying too many cameras. From my experiences, that guy is going to be a pain in the ass, and a lousy dive buddy. Whatever problems I may have with an instabuddy, I will discuss on the SI, and if I don't get a satisfactory response, I will have a conversation with the DM, then dive solo if necessary.

Here’s a link to a thread discussing my one and only experience with an insta-buddy. It may be helpful going forward. Make sure you and your insta-buddy have a clear understanding of the dive plan, communication, experience and equipment BEFORE you hit the water. Be safe.

Insta-buddy DECO Diver: What’s NDL?

I've had good instabuddies almost without exception. But I'm diving places where most of the divers on the boat have at least some time, and mostly kind of local (Gulf coast Florida, East coast around Jupiter and West Palm). I have found that getting to the boat early and talking with the Captain, DM, and deckhand if there is one, is a good start. They'll know more about who's got what kind of experience, the matchmaking usually works. Then take the time to talk with insta, and you'll get the BWRAF stuff, how do you signal air remaining, what type of rig, where octo and releases, and ask about his/her experience. Also ask about non-diving stuff if you have time--a new diver whose hobbies are mountain climbing instructor and motorcycle racing, will be a different personality than one whose hobbies are reading and Scrabble. Plan your dive risk-taking/avoiding accordingly.

There's a lot on this Board about the buddy system, how to navigate, "what's wrong with the buddy system", (and what's right).
Search and ye shall find. It's a fairly frequent topic.

I also think a lot of what makes a good or not so good insta experience is my attitude. Which is true about anything challenging, it can be an ordeal or an adventure, depending mostly on how I approach it.

And best of luck, and best wishes.

H.................snip................ I like a well thought out dive plan, even if it is a simple rec dive, with a brief and de-brief after. Since I'm usually traveling alone, I'm at the whim of the dive operator with regards to a buddy. So, my question is this: how do folks tend to handle this situation? And are there ways to find like minded divers thru social media (e.g., safety oriented groups on FB)?

Thanks!

Tell your insta-buddy the dive plan, invite comment, then dive and see what happens. If your new buddy can see you are competent, they might go into tag-along mode, or they might demonstrate some competence themselves and contribute to the plan and the leadership of the dive. A dive plan needs only be bottom time, turn-around pressures, safety stops, maybe some hand signals. If you've never dived the site, just dive the site, have a plan but don't make it so detailed it impacts on the enjoyment of the dive.

Best advice is to be as self-reliant as possible. Don't depend on your buddy, even when you have an awesome buddy, be able to manage as many plausible issues as you can conceive without help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom