Instabuddy vs. Dive Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had one bad experience with an insta-buddy. He liked to look at everything and stayed behind constantly which always drew the attention of the DM/guide. Finally on the 2nd dive I just ditched him and stayed with another group. Yeah something bad could have happened to him but I got tired of his bs.

god forbid he look at the things underwater!

So you were the crap buddy in this scenario lol
I sure as hell was. Wasn't going to follow a guy constantly disregarding the DM

Trust no strangers no matter what they claimed.
If you cannot look after yourself then what is the chance if your buddy has an issue?
This tread is in the wrong place!

[QUOTE="Altamira, post: 9201342, member: Whatever problems I may have with an instabuddy, I will discuss on the SI, and if I don't get a satisfactory response, I will have a conversation with the DM, then dive solo if necessary.[/QUOTE]

IF the charter allows solo diving. If not, then what?

Having not resolved the issue with the DM, find a pair that you liked in the water and ask them if you can join them. Then tell the DM privately or with others present.

Diver: "I do not feel comfortable diving with them, they are putting me at risk by X, Y, Z. I've talked with others about joining them."
Dive op, trying to salvage dive pairs and all diving: "Let's see how they do on this next dive."
Diver, not buying that plan: "I do not feel comfortable diving with them. They are putting me at risk."
Dive op, with the insurance company in mind: "..."

Having redundant equipment from the start likely simplifies those conversations.

[QUOTE="Altamira, post: 9201342, member: Whatever problems I may have with an instabuddy, I will discuss on the SI, and if I don't get a satisfactory response, I will have a conversation with the DM, then dive solo if necessary.

IF the charter allows solo diving. If not, then what?[/QUOTE]
Just ask to pair up with the DM?

Just ask to pair up with the DM?[/QUOTE]
My usual practice and yet to be denied by any operator or dm! However, I have to show my qualification and log book to convince them in the first place. And having old personal equipment also help.

Thanks. Those are good solutions I haven't thought of.

Back
Top Bottom