Can I conveniently turn my DSLR into an UW setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

I never really looked into UW photography, but I'd consider buying a housing/lights if my existing above water kit is suitable.

I've got
- D750
- 20mm prime 1.8
- 50mm prime 1.4
- 105mm Macro 2.8

Apologies for my lack of research, but are these lenses suitable? Who makes the best housing/lights/rack for this kind of setup? Is there any other lens I should look into?

Cheers!

How do you define "conveniently"?

-Z

As Zef asked, what's your definition of "Conveniently"?

It is not at all difficult to put a body and lens into a housing, screw it to the tray, attach your lights and you're good to go!

However, cost? That's a different issue.... Decide which lens(es) you intend to use UW and start looking for a housing and port combo which is compatible; that's your starting point, then build from there.

Cost is the biggie. A higher end setup will run more than the cost of the contents it houses once you’re done adding strobes, etc. New cost. Seafrogs and Ikelite are cheaper. Since the D750 is slightly older you may be able to find a deal on a used housing setup, try Wetpixel.

I used a D750 for many years. The three best lenses for underwater are 105, 60, and Sigma 14mm. You will need ports, extensions, and strobes, all of which increase the cost. Ebay is probably your best bet.

I shoot a D750 and find I only use two lenses a 105 for macro and a 16-35 for wide angle. My 60 has only been used a couple of times while I used it regularly with my D200. The 16-35 is not inexpensive, your 20 would probably be a good less expensive choice, but I have not tried it.

You might want to think long term the cost of a housing is significant, the D750 is still a current camera but very near end of life. Do you want to spend a bunch of $ housing old technology that you will likely want to upgrade soonish. If I could find used I would probably go for it but would hesitate to go new.

Ikelite Underwater housing For Nikon D750 - Camera + Lenses Available But Extra | eBay
has extra tubes and port.

A new housing will be in the area of 1400 +/- depending on who you get it from and what you order with it. You may need extra ports and extension tubes to use all of your lenses.

Cheaper but not that familiar with the quality of these Meikon 60m/195ft Underwater Camera Housing Diving Case for Nikon D750 with Tray | eBay

Then you have to think of strobes. 1 at least. Ikelite DS 51 is a good strobe but perhaps not as powerful as the D160, New they run 450. I lucked out and got mine used in good condition for 275 each. Then you need the arms to hold them. Loc-lines will run 100 +/- depending on what you get. My Ultralights were 400 at a discount.

If you go with Ikelite and one strobe new figure in the area of 2K give or take. I have my SL1 Set up insured for 3500 to cover the housing, camera, strobes, and arms. With no deductible, it added 20 bucks a year to my renter's insurance.

Thank you all for the swift replies, your good suggestions saved me a lot of research time so I appreciate it!

I have had a look at the required setup, locally available gear, and concluded that it is not worth doing for how rarely I would realistically use that bulky affair.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom