New diver buying 1st reg, Deep 6 or Hog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d recommend Deep 6 but know that I’m biased. I spent a week with LandonL (co-owner with cerich) and found he has great values. Integrity, commitment and transparency are at the top of the list. I’m confident if I had a problem on the other side of the planet, he’d do some heavy lifting to get me back underwater. I think something worth noting, too, is that he didn’t disparage other manufacturers which I found to be refreshing. In fact, he recognized and appreciated innovations from other manufacturers.

This is an aside but related, IMO. I like his instructional approach; he focuses on high standards without being a wiener about it. Lastly, he never used the course to try to sell me anything. He’s pretty low key. That spoke volumes to me.

Not sure about HOG, but Deep6 require you to take the course in order to get parts kits. They changed this. Before you could buy the kits online.
HOG: Manual requires class. Parts Kits openly available (DRIS, NESS, and Piranha at least.)
D6: Manual is online with liability waiver. I didn't realize that they wouldn't sell the kits without the class any more - seems strange since they (at least used-to) include a service kit with the purchase.

I took the classes for HOG and Deep6...... If I was to have to get them serviced outside of by me, @Jim Lapenta would be a prime choice. He did the complete overhaul on them when I picked them up (used) before I took the class. Deep6 does the first service for free if shipped back to them (purchase of new regs). My classes were with @abnfrog when the border was open...

Deep6 was exploring a virtual platform for their class, and I am unsure if HOG was exploring possibly something similar. This whole pandemic has certainly disrupted things...

I can't recall whick "mainstream" design the HOG and the Deep6 are clones of (Apeks is one, the other....). A shop that does those might service these....

Thing is, at two years interval (or longer), sending them out isn't really a big deal. Minor issues/maintenance IMHO are truly DIY for a serious diver...

YMMV
As far as the on-line for HOG, I don't see that happening. TDI Standards are what determine that and one of the rationales is that it's pretty hard for the instructor to supervise a rebuild over the computer. I can't physically verify you have things tight enough on those items without a torque spec. Or be able to look inside your reg to see the orifice if there's a suspected issue.
Then there's the practical aspect of having to sit in front of the computer for the 10 hours over two days that my class takes. I ain't doing it! Just thinking about it makes me want to double the price for on-line over in person!
What if the internet goes out? Camera freezes? etc. Not worth the aggravation for me.

i agree with jim on the online aspect ..........i will never do it .

As an LDS technician, choose a brand that your LDS can readily service.

or learn to do it yourself , THE RIGHT WAY

Deep6 require you to take the course in order to get parts kits. They changed this. Before you could buy the kits online.

Now that royally sucks. <various expletives escaped> I feel like I need to go back and edit all of my posts commenting on the fact that they believe their customers have intelligence. <more expletives escaping>

As an LDS technician, choose a brand that your LDS can readily service.

Works if you only dive local, mate. For travelers to crummy locations, service your own is the only way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom