Not a good sign for cruise ship industry return before vaccine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I was reading about how Elon Musk took 4 Covid tests on the same day. The tests were from the same manufacturer and sent to the same lab. Two out of the for tests came back positive. Personally, I feel that these tests are too unreliable to risk the close contact, high density population which is par for the course when taking a cruise. It is sad reading about the struggles happening on the islands; however, I think it is too early for the cruise industry to be operational.

I've been on 2 cruises, bit Carnival. I do not go to visit Cozumel, as I prefer to spend a week or more there, and have no desire to visit PDC at all. I go to drink at sea and read a good book and get fat on roast beef of baron and soft serve ice cream.

Port visits are awful. The bar is closed, although the ice cream machine is kept on.

Yesterday I was reading about how Elon Musk took 4 Covid tests on the same day. The tests were from the same manufacturer and sent to the same lab. Two out of the for tests came back positive. Personally, I feel that these tests are too unreliable to risk the close contact, high density population which is par for the course when taking a cruise. It is sad reading about the struggles happening on the islands; however, I think it is too early for the cruise industry to be operational.

Save the effort. Just take one PCR test. Which he subsequently did. The RR tests are useless. They were not sent back to any lab - they're conducted on an on-site machine.

Since I was the original poster, just wanted to be clear I never really thought safe return of cruise ships was possible without widespread vaccine. Due to long incubation period and lower sensitivity of rapid tests you basically would need testing every day of all people to do it somewhat safely (and even that isn’t perfect).

if vaccines efficacy goes back down to 60 percent where they originally thought vaccines would come in—cruise industry would need much lower virus numbers in community AND a vaccine ). If virus running rampant on land, partially effective vaccine on ship isn’t going to cut it given they are floating Petri dishes even during normal times. If Pfizer efficacy of 90 percent holds up for vaccines in general, obviously it would be easier to restart cruises IF everyone is required to take vaccine before going on cruise.

Once again, was just passing along the story since it is clearly relevant to the island economy—especially if some people were hopeful for cruise restart without widespread vaccine. I have seen one restart date after another this year that some people here believed was possible but I thought was wildly unrealistic .

I predict that travelers will need a "Travel Passport" showing evidence of vaccinations before being allowed to board trains, planes and boats. Anti-vaxxer predicament?

I predict that travelers will need a "Travel Passport" showing evidence of vaccinations before being allowed to board trains, planes and boats. Anti-vaxxer predicament?
Like this one?
find-your-immunization-records.png

I still have the one issued to me in the Navy, and have kept it up to date all of these years. I carry it with me with my passport.

Like this one?

Kinda sorta. It's going to have to be a standardized EASY TO READ and INTERPRET doc or card. If that was implemented properly, I'd have zero problems getting on a plane or train. Or going to a resort.

The entire cruise industry has a long, long way to go when it comes to reducing airborne COVID transmission. I've been on 2 cruises in my life (about 20 and 25 years ago) and the minute I walked into that ship the overwhelming smell of air freshener hits you as you're walking down the corridor to your room and you enter your room. Within a few hours, you get used to it and you can't seem to smell it anymore but it is still there. Cruise ships just like high-rise office buildings have their HVAC systems designed to deliver the most economical heat and cooling possible and that means recirculating the maximum amount of interior air possible and only delivering enough fresh air to maintain regulated maximum levels of CO2 and such. Cruise ships and office buildings were never required to install HEPA level filtration in their HVAC systems. In short, wear a mask all you want in public on a cruise ship but when you close your cabin door and take your mask off you're breathing the same unfiltered recirculated air everyone else is breathing on that ship in your HVAC zone. The cruise lines can try all they want but until they replace very, very cheap air freshener with very, very expensive HEPA air filtration systems every test-cruise they run is going to become problematic in my opinion just as prior cruises at the dawn of COVID ended up with such disastrous results.

This brings me to the airlines... HEPA filtration was embraced by the airlines decades ago for one reason... Smoking used to be allowed throughout planes and then they established smoking and non-smoking sections but it didn't matter if you sat in smoking or non-smoking everyone was stuck in the same tube smelling the same smoke-filled air. HEPA filtration was introduced to reduce the second hand smoke that was pumped throughout the plane. Now, with COVID upon us the airlines have increased the 100% change of interior air to every 2-3 minutes on top of HEPA filtration.

The bottom line is (and the statistics prove to date) that you are far, far safer being crammed into an airplane cabin and flying non-stop for 7 days straight with everyone on board with you than spending 7 days on a cruise ship walking about, practicing social distancing, and sleeping in that cabin without wearing a mask thinking you are safe in there when you are not. It's all about the HEPA filtration and how often the entire interior volume of air everyone is breathing is replaced.

Back
Top Bottom