Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how a picture will convince you but here ya go!

I'm at work and the only dive gear I happen to have around is my dive computer from the last time I uploaded my dives.
I'm honored. Now when you die doing something incredibly stupid, I'll forever be known as the guy that called you out for being so ̷s̷t̷u̷p̷i̷d̷ ignorant people mistook you for a troll. o_O

I'm honored. Now when you die doing something incredibly stupid, I'll forever be known as the guy that called you out for being so stupid people mistook you for a troll.

I don't understand this at all.

How does a picture convince you I'm not a troll?

Why not address some of the specific issues with the plan?
These two jump out at me.

• Using single 80 tanks with no redundancy in a considerable overhead?
  • The idea of wrapping loose reel line around one's hand while solo in order to expedite the retrieval of line?
[MOD EDIT - content referring to a deleted post removed]

Why not address some of the specific issues with the plan?
These two jump out at me.

• Using single 80 tanks with no redundancy in a considerable overhead?
  • The idea of wrapping loose reel line around one's hand while solo in order to expedite the retrieval of line?

I was thinking about that line around my hand issue. Probably won't do it that way- will wrap it around a backup dive light or something.

I have no answer to the redundancy issue. I've got the 30cf pony bottle- they do not.

What if it's raining really hard in freezing weather and you just loaded a bunch of stuff into your car at Home Depot and the cart return rack is at the other end of the lot?
Nope, not even then.

BTW, when I enter a parking lot with the intention of using some kind of a cart to take things back to my car, and if I am feeling a little lazy, I pick a parking space close to a cart rack. Otherwise, I frequently go out of my way to do a little extra walking--it's good for me.

Get yourself trained and certified as an Advanced Wreck Penetration diver before you attempt this dive.

Get yourself trained and certified as an Advanced Wreck Penetration diver before you attempt this dive.
Norwal probably does not know who Jim is. He has been inside the Spiegel Gove many times as a technical diving instructor, but he was inside it many more times when it was still an active Navy vessel. He has a pretty good idea what it is like inside.

^^^THIS^^^

So will a "guide" do the same or similar dive and handle the reel himself and also allow the people he is leading to penetrate far into the overhead - past any ambient light with single 80's?

If so, then it might be easier to understand why the OP formulated his original DIY plan. I never dove on the wreck, so this is an honest question.

Back
Top Bottom