Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would my posts on my thread be deleted for "off topic"?

Seems.. odd.

I have 2 questions for @Capt Jim Wyatt

1- If you found that someone ran a line from amidships through the entrance on the port side just above the loading bay that ran to an exit near the bow would you be very upset?

2- After entering on the port side amidships on the lowest level just above the old amphibious landing craft bay, is it straight down the long corridor and then a right turn to find the Snoopy mascott, and then a left to get to the open area which exits near the bow?

Thanks

I would never care if someone installed a permanent line provided it was installed correctly.

Snoopy is on the main deck aft of crews' mess and directly in front of the barber shop / and ship's store.

I lost three friends on that wreck some years back. They were better trained and had more experience than you. They made a similar mistake with their line planning.This sounds like a really bad idea. Not informing the boat crew about your intentions is another bad plan. I recall that it took a team of rescue divers two or three days to retrieve Scott’s and John’s bodies.

Get yourself trained and certified as an Advanced Wreck Penetration diver before you attempt this dive.
+1 AND... before you lead unqualified buddies into a wreck you might want to be an insured and qualified instructor because your liability is huge on this plan. Do you own a house or a car or any other valuable assets? You might want to think about the implications if one of your buddies was to perish. At least your plan is well documented so the next of kin's lawyers can get a clear picture of what happened.

Doing dives like this is about as unsafe as planning a cave dive with no training. It is a terrible idea. However, if you insist on doing it have your last will and testament ready -- Don't leave your family in a bind - and may you you think about the people who will have to search for your body and drag it out.

Hi @Capt Jim Wyatt Is the dive described by @norwhal a technical wreck penetration, or is it a wreck swim through as has previously been described in detail by @boulderjohn?

I only have 24 dives on the Spiegel Grove, most between 2004 and 2009, 4 in 2015. At best, I knew the layout pretty well. It seems like the swim to the Snoopy was not a technical penetration. There are many good swim throughs, some quite long, on the Spiegel

Thanks

So we have another thread where somebody asked for advice, feedback, opinions or what ever you want to call it and then gets defensive or mad when they get said advice. He's either doing it to get a rise out of people or can't be helped as he has gotten the advice of divers with way more experience with this type of diving and just argues it. His profile states he is a dive shop owner/employee? if he can't see this is a bad idea and it's not a troll this is not a shop I would want to use!

Hi @Capt Jim Wyatt Is the dive described by @norwhal a technical wreck penetration, or is it a wreck swim through as has previously been described in detail by @boulderj
I'll answer it in accordance with the description I gave PADI.

As I understand it, when the divers enter the wreck, they aren't sure that they will find a second exit, so they are running line. That is a penetration.

If you are going to call it a swim-through, you have to be pretty sure that you will find the exit you are seeking.

But within each definition, there is a range. Swimming 10 feet through a wheelhouse is a simple swim-through, and pretty much any diver can do that, but as you add complications (distance, obstacles, entanglement hazards, etc.) you demand more and more levels of training and expertise on the part of the diver. If you want to say this is a swim-through, it is at a pretty extremely high end, as is evidenced by the necessity of laying a line. It is not something to be contemplated by someone without advanced training and the appropriate gear.

Back
Top Bottom