Logging Shallow Dives? ex. Rivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I intended to work towards a solo cert early on (I knew that my logbook would get looked over thoroughly at some point), I opted to not record extremely short dives. Ex. I combined a few quarry dives with very short surface intervals. As a result, I shorted myself a few dives along the way.

I “log” everything in my log book for information purposes...even pool/confined water dives. However, only open water dives receive a dive number. Pool/confined water dives are noted with a ‘X’ in the ‘Dive Number’ blank (not counted towards my total)

I like that idea, thanks. No question I see a difference in going to my local creek, sitting in a hole at 12-15ft watching the Salmon circle VS a trip to Monterey in much more challenging conditions. Do I consider this a OW dive, no not really. Is it adding to buoyancy control, gear familiarity, muscle memory? Sure.

Does anyone log dives without counting them, or keep separate counts or sub-counts? I was thinking about volunteering at the aquarium at some point, but I'm not sure I want to someday tell people I have X dives when half of those were in a fish tank. I was thinking maybe I'd log those but have a separate count: A1, A2, etc. I already track within my total dive count certain types of dives (beach, night, deep) because I like having more detailed stats (e.g. I have X dives but only Y% of those involved surf entries.)
I log everything but for I mark the dive locations in subsurface.

I would rather have the information than not having it.

I can provide a dive count seawater vs lake/quarry.

As I intended to work towards a solo cert early on (I knew that my logbook would get looked over thoroughly at some point), I opted to not record extremely short dives. Ex. I combined a few quarry dives with very short surface intervals. As a result, I shorted myself a few dives along the way.

when I gave my dive count for a solo certification, I broke it down in:
- drysuit vs wetsuit
- open water vs inland sites
- countries

logging the information just means that the data is available.

If you logged 100 quarry dives and 50 ocean dives, you can just give the breakdown to the instructor.

I like that idea, thanks. No question I see a difference in going to my local creek, sitting in a hole at 12-15ft watching the Salmon circle VS a trip to Monterey in much more challenging conditions. Do I consider this a OW dive, no not really. Is it adding to buoyancy control, gear familiarity, muscle memory? Sure.
I would consider it an OW dive and log it. Yet I wouldn't log a dive in that 100' deep pool in Europe somewhere because it is a pool. Not sure about missile silos or that well-known place in Missouri. We all have different parameters I guess.

Back
Top Bottom