Cheapest OW Certs Possible, FL, Kids, Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am lazy and did not read the entire thread. What caught my eye was "cheapest".

When I got Lasik done on my eyes in 2001 I searched for the most expensive doctor in Honolulu...found her and had her do the surgery for me.

Perhaps you too should approach your shopping for such a person to teach your kids to dive in the same manner.

I am lazy and did not read the entire thread. What caught my eye was "cheapest".

When I got Lasik done on my eyes in 2001 I searched for the most expensive doctor in Honolulu...found her and had her do the surgery for me.

Perhaps you too should approach your shopping for such a person to teach your kids to dive in the same manner.

Diving does not = laser eye surgery? How does that compare?

Diving does not = laser eye surgery? How does that compare?

They don't really compare. The worst that can happen with a crappy eye doctor is that you are blinded. The worst that can go wrong with a crappy scuba instructor is that you can die.

I think @rob.mwpropane said he already kind of trained his children to the basics and he just wants the card.

This is why he wants the cheapest option.

If you disagree and think it’s not a good idea to go with the cheapest it may be better to not focus on the price but in what he could have not done correctly when training his children and that a proper instructor would do ?

I don’t think I have enough experience to answer this one, so I’ll just keep reading. :)

I think @rob.mwpropane said he already kind of trained his children to the basics and he just wants the card.

This is why he wants the cheapest option.

If you disagree and think it’s not a good idea to go with the cheapest it may be better to not focus on the price but in what he could have not done correctly when training his children and that a proper instructor would do ?

I don’t think I have enough experience to answer this one, so I’ll just keep reading. :)
Hard to answer this. Rob seems to say he himself received crappy training, so it is not obvious what it is he passed on to his kids.

With a good instructor, having students that are already somewhat capable will most likely result in a far more successful class. If the absolute basics are in place then more time can be spent on finesse and comprehension. I feel like for some students the class is a rush of new skills that generally ends with a card awarded. I would look at it as a chance to get more for your money rather than a chance to save money.

You could stop at Panama City on you way down to the keys. Hotels are cheap there. Instructors can minimize your expenses by doing the confined water and open water sessions in St. Andrews park. $8 entrance fee per vehicle.

Rentals and fills are inexpensive there as well.

You should be able to get all of them competently certified for well less than $500 per student.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I have 3 daughters and had all of them certified at the same time it was a huge strain on the pocketbook and I had a lot of the same feelings as you about the exuberance of what it cost. But I will say find a good instructor because what seems to be lame skills may save their life one day and if it doesn't and you live to see it you will never forgive yourself for your savings.

This kid did okay with his parent as the instructor!

jacques-yves-cousteau-jean-michel.jpg

They don't really compare. The worst that can happen with a crappy eye doctor is that you are blinded. The worst that can go wrong with a crappy scuba instructor is that you can die.

@Capt Jim Wyatt I appreciate your insight and your feedback. I know you're an experienced diver, so I don't take what you say lightly.

My feeling is this, at the end of the day I will still be left with my four kids who just know the basics. At this point in their lives they will be nothing more than vacation divers. If they want more / better training then we can get that in a couple years. Let's get the card and go practice some stuff in the pool / quarry. If they want to learn more / grow, then they will.

For now it would have been easy dives...maybe the highlight being a 10-20' reef in the keys. We went last year snorkeling and had a blast. I am not trying to take my kids down to the Spiegel Grove and do deep penetration. The little one would have my wife and I by his side at all times.

They have all dived the BHB and survived to tell the tale...

And I do put my shopping cart back when done:).....always.

This kid did okay with his parent as the instructor!

View attachment 625512

@KathyV that's an awesome picture. I think a lot of people fail to realize that there wasn't always "instructors" and "certification" agencies. How did they learn back then? Hell I think they would rent whatever to whomever:)

I took my kids out last year snorkeling to see how they would like the water, they all fell in love. We do nothing but beach / water / snorkeling vacations. They've been in the water their whole lives....scuba is just the next progression.

Back
Top Bottom