Regulator comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

27Words

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, Sorry for the most likely repetitive thread. I am a new diver and I am slowly started to put together all of my equipment. Right now I have my bcd and my next step is computer or regulator. I am already decided on the dive computer but I am not quite sure which direction I want to go with the regulator. I have it narrowed down to four choices:
1. Aqualung titan
2. Aqualung core
3. Atomic Z2
4. Scubapro mk2 eco/r195

Can those of you with experience with any of these regulators give me some insight into them, pros/cons or even recommendations?

I should add, I will mainly be diving freshwater at dutch springs for now. Once covid passes I would like to travel and do some ocean diving. I also plan to do nitrox within the next few months.

I would go with the Z2. It's a fully balanced, high performance regulator. The scubapro you list is their unbalanced value combo. It's a solid reg but not in the same class.

I have two Z2's that are my go-to freshwater rig and it's identical back-up.

I admit I am biased toward scubapro and toward atomic as they are a company formed by their best engineers that designed their most famous designs.

@Rusty Shackleford is right about the Mk2. It's a bit of a throwback. Rental fleets like them because they're dirt simple to service. But an unbalanced first stage hooked to an unbalanced second is 1965 diving. Your breathing effort will gradually increase as your tank empties, the pressure supplied from the first stage drops a bit, and it gets progressively harder to open the final second stage valve. Just the sort of thing you don't want when you forgot to check your gauges and you're ascending with 200psi left in your tank.

Atomic is fantastic! Solid throughout. Easy to service.
The Titan is a solid design, and the first stage is very stable. The newer Titan second stage is a bit flimsier on the plastic than the older versions used to be.

But when considering your Aqualung choices vs Atomic, you are looking at piston vs. diaphragm. Your piston Atomic will require a bit more care to keep the first stage well flushed between dive trips. But the second stage is more stable than the Aqualung, because its seat saver feature vastly increases service life. But some will try to dissuade you from a seat saver second (because the valve remains open when unpressurized). To me that's a benefit. It just requires a different rinsing technique.

I own all three brands. Mk2s on my deco bottles are very reliable. I dive Atomic personally, and teach on Aqualung because my shop sells it. My favorite is Atomic, but I'm getting excited about the new Scubapro Mk19, because it's a great diaphragm design (like Aqualung), and is sealed. But it may be a bit pricy.

To me, the apex choices are Atomic (Z- series for value - they'll last 30 years) and Scubapro Mk19 with a G260 for proven performance.

I hope your computer was a Shearwater Peregrine!

#5. mk 17 g260
I wish I could, but my wife would kill me if I went for that one. She’s already not a fan of all the other charges

Your breathing effort will gradually increase as your tank empties, the pressure supplied from the first stage drops a bit, and it gets progressively harder to open the final second stage valve.

It's a feature, not a bug. It kept me alive before I owned an SPG, the increase in effort is gradual, unlike a balanced reg which will be easy up to the breath where it quits, and one can make a normal ascent while breathing a little harder.

I would put the unbalanced at the bottom of the list, more because I already have some, than anything inherently wrong with it. Balanced is better and they all good regs.

I wish I could, but my wife would kill me if I went for that one. She’s already not a fan of all the other charges
Z2, then Titan.
Unless two sets (assuming your wife dives) is really squeezing the kitty. Then Titan.
My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

What environment are you diving in and what is your budget? Also why did you pick the ones listed, cost, availability of local purchase or service etc? There are a lot of options out there but to recommend a regulator it is best to know how and where it will be used.

the core is a better choice than titan for the balanced 2nd, but if you are paying in that realm for a reg, haggle for a good price on the apeks xtx50/dst. or get the hog zenith/d3 or wait and see if deep 6 has a special for black friday next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom