Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video that’s some camera setup. How many dives do you have under your belt?

Thanks, it's just a GoPro Hero 7 with two Archon D11 V2 Video lights on a regular size tray, nothing too fancy. Correction: 2 years ago it would have been the Hero 4

I just did my 500th dive this past summer. A lot of my dives are local, in the Northeast Atlantic Ocean on low (as in zero to 3') visibility wrecks off my own boat.

Here's the dive profile showing depth and gas used. Although the video is cut in several places, by looking at the profile it appears that we entered the wreck at about 6 minutes at a depth of 93' exited at 10 minutes and returned on one of the upper levels, avg depth about 88' from the 13 to 15 minute mark, making the first penetration 4 minutes and the return leg 2 minutes (the return corridor was pretty much a straight run as I recall). SAC rate isn't shown, it was .71.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.9 KB · Views: 138
After thinking about it on the overnight, I don't think I'll be doing the reel retrieval thing or cut the line off, given some of the comments on this thread, however as per @lermontov, my buddies may be returning along a potentially silted passageway (I'll be last and I'm good with even zero vis).

I'd be more than happy to tell the Dive Op that I plan to run a reel for some light penetration- but what if I do and they say "sorry we can't allow that"?

Thanks, it's just a GoPro Hero 7 with two Archon D11 V2 Video lights on a regular size tray, nothing too fancy. Correction: 2 years ago it would have been the Hero 4

I just did my 500th dive this past summer. A lot of my dives are local, in the Northeast Atlantic Ocean on low (as in zero to 3') visibility wrecks off my own boat.

Here's the dive profile showing depth and gas used. Although the video is cut in several places, by looking at the profile it appears that we entered the wreck at about 6 minutes at a depth of 93' exited at 10 minutes and returned on one of the upper levels, avg depth about 88' from the 13 to 15 minute mark, making the first penetration 4 minutes and the return leg 2 minutes (the return corridor was pretty much a straight run as I recall). SAC rate isn't shown, it was .71.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve dove the Spiegel Grove but stayed outside, once I have more dives I would certainly love to go inside like you have on the same profile.

After thinking about it on the overnight, I don't think I'll be doing the reel retrieval thing or cut the line off, given some of the comments on this thread, however as per @lermontov, my buddies may be returning along a potentially silted passageway (I'll be last and I'm good with even zero vis).

I'd be more than happy to tell the Dive Op that I plan to run a reel for some light penetration- but what if I do and they say "sorry we can't allow that"?
If you did anyway probably blackballed in Key Largo.

The operators I know of will allow penetration diving *if* the divers are trained, certified and equipped for penetration diving. From a liability standpoint they cannot sanction penetration diving for divers who are not trained and equipped for it.

What do you do?....You respect that decision and you disclose that to the 2 people you will be leading so they can make an informed decision to follow you. You can also look into hiring an operator that will permit you to execute your plan while diving from their boat.

Don't be surprised if after the discussion with the dive-op that they chose the option of refusing your business due to potential liability concerns.

I can't speak for others who have participated in this post but for me, I don't see an issue with your desire for your person to do this dive...the concern is regarding your desire is to include taking other divers into an environment they are not trained/equipped/experienced for. It is even more concerning that you come across dismissive of this issue, and it leads one to question what you may or may not be disclosing about doing this dive with the pair you plan to splash with.

Since you are leading this dive, perhaps you should evaluate why you are doing this particular dive. Ask yourself honestly, if you are doing this for you or for them (them = the other 2 divers)...what about this dive makes it the right dive for these 2 divers to do? What can make this dive safer for the divers being led (training, experience, conditions, etc.). What is your ORM (operational risk management) assessment for conducting this dive?

In the end the decision for what you are going to do is up to you. Just don't let your ego lead to the possibility of putting others in a a position where they might face injury or death. Realize and consider that without full disclosure and transparency, and even then, they may not have the experience to differentiate between the perceived thrill and the real danger of what you are planning.

Good luck.

-Z

My take away from this thread is that it is always important to call out - respectively and constructively, if possible - those who display a level a willingness to undertake reckless behaviors that may ultimately lead to injury or death. Ironically, it is the living who have to deal with these outcomes and it is selfish beyond the pale to think that PTSD is no big deal. Some of us get lucky and the memories and faces of the dead fade away. But for others, well....

Yes, I had thought of that and you drove the point home. In the video I took 2 years ago you can see how easily it gets silted out. If that line got hung up I'd have to cut myself free in low visibility.

Having done this dive before I know I'll have plenty of gas. Especially given that we had to swim all the way from the stern mooring ball.

Here ya go! I edited the original video after I filmed it so it's not continuous but it gives you a general idea.

Nice video. It's proof none of you should be inside the wreck. No redundant gas, no redundant lights, complete lack of appropriate finning technique with multiple people flutter kicking like they're in open water and silting it up. I assume also zero gas planning.
If there's a nice open swim through, go for it. If you're going inside the wreck enough that you're running a line, then you have zero business being there.
It may seem all easy and fun, but when stuff goes sideways you'll have no leg to stand on when a widow sues you for taking part in her husband's death.

I absolutely hate this saying, but this is a perfect example. You don't know what you don't know.
Or the other one I hate "you gonna die".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom